About the PJCC:
For more than 75 years, the Peninsula Jewish Community Center (PJCC) has worked to inspire a sense of community in San Mateo County, with over 37,000 Jewish residents. Situated between San Francisco and Palo Alto, the PJCC is among the top 10 JCCs in North America. With a 12-acre home in Foster City, the PJCC’s goal is to provide programs and services that reinforce the values and traditions the Jewish community embraces, while serving the broader community as well. The PJCC’s Mission is that: We positively impact people’s lives, fostering belonging and meaningful connections with a diverse community, grounded in Jewish values and traditions.
PJ Library Bay Area:
The PJ Library Bay Area program, the primary family engagement vehicle for the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, works to foster connections to Jewish families with young children in the Bay Area. Delivering free Jewish children's books to families raising kids from birth to age 8 with Judaism as part of their lives, PJ Library creates opportunities for families to explore and celebrate Jewish heritage while fostering vital conversations about values and traditions. PJ Library Parent Connectors curate meaningful gatherings for families with young children, acting as peer guides to local Jewish resources and organizations. From playground meetups to small chavurah family groups, Connectors facilitate connections and help families go on a Jewish Journey together.
Position Overview: Jewish Family Engagement Specialist
This role is jointly overseen by PJCC and PJ Library Bay Area, implemented through a grant from the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund. The Jewish Family Engagement Specialist integrates the PJ Library Parent Connector role into our community organization, positioning PJCC as a pivotal resource and convener for families with a Jewish connection during the early stages of their Jewish parenting journey. Leveraging PJ Library tools such as books, program concepts, and peer interactions, the Specialist establishes micro-communities, empowering North Peninsula Jewish families to forge connections with one another and the larger Jewish communal ecosystem.
As a vital member of the dynamic PJCC Jewish Life team, this role collaborates across departments and utilizes the robust community center to create a nurturing space for families to bond. Weekly tasks include up to 10 hours of personal relationship-building with families, coupled with up to 8 hours devoted to designing, facilitating, and supporting various family engagement initiatives.
- Serve as PJ Library Parent Connector for the North Peninsula region.
- Build authentic peer-to-peer relationships with families of young children (birth-age 6) and provide relevant resources.
- Create and maintain meaningful relationships with unconnected and under-connected Jewish families, and connect them to appropriate Jewish organizations.
- Facilitate 1:1 meet-ups with new families weekly.
- Connect families to each other to create small-group cohorts.
- Encourage participation in family programs and Jewish educational programs.
- Learn about local activity offerings and foster partnerships with leaders in the Jewish community.
- Enroll 2-3 new families in PJ Library monthly.
- Engage in social media promotion of PJ Library Bay Area events and peer connections.
- Track and report connections made with Jewish families.
- Attend professional development trainings quarterly with PJ Parent Connector team.
- Represent PJCC at select holiday activities.
- Lead activities for families, including play groups, both onsite and offsite of PJCC.
- Serve as PJCC representative and contribute to PJCC's Jewish education team and holiday events.
- Partner with marketing department to expand our outreach strategies.
- Undertake additional responsibilities as determined by Chief Jewish Experience Officer.
- Ability to connect with parents and relate to parents with young children.
- Background in family engagement or education is beneficial.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in Jewish community work is preferred.
- Deep understanding and appreciation of diversity within the Jewish community.
- Enthusiastic, friendly, and organized with strong follow-through skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Proficient and comfortable with regular social media engagement and presence.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
The successful candidate should be prepared to work during non-traditional hours as part of their responsibilities. This may include evenings and weekends, which are often the prime timeframes for organizing and facilitating programs, gatherings, and engagement activities. The willingness to accommodate non-traditional hours underscores our commitment to meeting the diverse needs of our community and ensuring optimal engagement opportunities for all. 15-18 hrs/ week
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- This role may require remaining stationary, standing for extended periods, and moving within the work area.
- Utilizing office equipment, computers, and communication mediums.
- Occasional lifting of items up to 10 lbs.
- Comfortable working in off-site locations.
- The work environment may be noisy and involve close proximity with others.
- Standard office equipment including phones, computers, and printers will be used.
If you are passionate about fostering connections within the Jewish community and nurturing family bonds through meaningful experiences, we invite you to apply for the Jewish Family Engagement Specialist position. We look forward to welcoming a dedicated and dynamic professional to our team at PJCC and PJ Library Bay Area. Join us in making a positive impact on the lives of families within our community.
PJCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the PJCC and its employees.