The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh seeks a dynamic, driven and entrepreneurial professional for the Senior Development Officer (SDO). The SDO is an integral part of the Federation’s Development team with responsibility for cultivation and stewardship of high-potential donors and prospects. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the SDO will identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donor level commitments for the Federation; initiating, maintaining, and growing these relationships to maximize their long-term value and benefit to the Federation as both donors and leaders.
This is a high-profile position working with some of the Federation’s most significant and/or potential major donors. The SDO is accountable for generating new and increased annual campaign, endowment and supplemental commitments that support the Federation and its programs, matching the philanthropic interests of identified donors with the mission and goals of Federation.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh is the central fundraising and community planning organization for the Pittsburgh Jewish community. We provide funding to local and overseas partner agencies, as well as independent programs that provides education, health and human welfare services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of high priority prospects and donors.
- Create customized solicitation strategies based on the newly implemented Federation strategic plan, community needs and the interests of the donor.
- Manage a minimum of 80 donors/prospects with a minimum 120, measurable, donor interactions annually.
- Serve as the relationship manager for each assigned prospect, ensuring that their development plan encompasses the broad spectrum of Federation activity and giving opportunities and the highest level of customer service.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Federation staff, volunteers, professional advisors, and community agencies and organizations to ensure the best outcome for the donor and the community.
- Maintain interaction reports and other appropriate accurate records of donor activity
- Conduct prospect research as necessary.
- Solicit for all revenue streams including, but not limited to the annual campaign, endowment and supplemental/project-based gifts at the major donor level.
- Participate in special events, recognition, and stewardship programs, as appropriate.
- Manage direct reports while providing coaching and feedback to fundraising staff members.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Proven track record in fundraising results in a goal-oriented environment, including successful track record of closing current and/or deferred major gifts of $100,000+.
- Strong knowledge of the Jewish community, culture, and practices. Passion for the mission of Federation and the Jewish community including Israel and world Jewry.
- An understanding of and the ability to articulate the accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
- Knowledge of estate and financial planning techniques preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques.
- The emotional intelligence, maturity and sound judgement necessary for interacting with donors, volunteers and staff.
- Accomplished oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
EDUCATION, TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (Jewish Communal Service, Philanthropy in a hospital or university setting).
- Master's degree preferred.
- Seven-plus years of proven success in annual and/or planned gift fundraising
- Experience working with volunteers and experience in the non-profit sector, highly preferred.
- Knowledge of CRM databases a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel strongly preferred.
- PA child protection certifications will be required.
- Must hold and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver's license as a condition of employment.
- This role requires frequent travel by automobile with the availability for additional hours including nights and weekends at organization sponsored events.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS
The nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. This role will have prolonged periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer. Also requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, and prepare work documents. Due to nature of this role a high level of confidentiality is required. Work is performed in a general office environment, currently employees are working remotely due to COVID-19. This position does not require heavy lifting over 15 pounds or standing for extended periods.
This job announcement is not designed to cover all responsibilities, duties or activities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities are subject to change. New duties may be assigned at any time with or without notice in accordance with the needs of Jewish Federation ofGreater Pittsburgh.
To commensurate with experience this position has a competitive hiring range of $75,000 to $90,000 annually. The Federation offers a competitive benefits package when compared to other non-profits.
Qualified individuals may apply by sending a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected]. Inclusion of people of all abilities is a core value of Jewish Pittsburgh. For accommodations for disabilities in the application or interviewing process, please contact us at [email protected]