The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore
Opportunity for Impact
For more than a century, The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore, alongside the family of agencies it supports, has been the cornerstone of building a dynamic community that cares for one another and inspires its neighbors to work together to create a world of good.
The President position is a unique and compelling opportunity for a seasoned executive to guide The Associated as it moves into its next century and help optimize the organization’s impact in both the local and global Jewish community. The Associated has benefitted from rare levels of professional continuity and has remained the foundation of the Baltimore Jewish community, serving as the principal engine of Jewish philanthropy and planning in the area. This position has only been held by six other individuals in The Associated’s 100-year-old history and is a key influencer in Baltimore and throughout the Jewish world.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a professional to lead an organization where agency partnerships are incredibly strong and where the community of lay leaders is dedicated to growing, building, and diversifying the number of community members who want to engage with The Associated and its work. The leadership is committed to guiding a new President through a smooth transition to continue to build and develop this prestigious and vibrant community.
Mission and Vision
The Associated strengthens and nurtures Jewish life by engaging and supporting community partners in Greater Baltimore, Israel and around the world.
The Associated accomplishes its mission and vision by transforming values into action:
- One People/Am Echad– A commitment to Klal Yisrael, the link between Jewish people in Baltimore, Israel and around the world
- Repair the World/ Tikkun Olam– Making a positive difference in the world through the pursuit of social justice
- Respect – A diverse Jewish community that is respectful, accessible and welcoming
- Education – Life-long Jewish learning and experiences
- Engagement – Active participation of people in the many facets of Jewish life
- Innovation – Creative approaches to solving community issues
- Collaboration – A network of strong local and overseas partners that provide for the social service, cultural, health and educational needs of Jews in Baltimore, Israel and throughout the world.
The Associated is recognized as one of the top giving Jewish communities in North America and a national leader within the Federation system. The Associated’s Annual Campaign is the foundation of
the organization’s philanthropic efforts and remains the primary fundraising vehicle for all of the organization’s agencies and programs. In 2022, the Annual Campaign raised approximately $30 million. The Associated is also nearing the completion of an unprecedented $200 million Centennial Campaign, charting the course for the next 100 years. The Associated maintains a diverse real estate portfolio and a robust endowment and investment program with nearly $1 billion in assets.
With a staff of over 100 FTEs and an operating budget of over $50 million, The Associated has stayed true to its promise of serving the Baltimore community with urgency, compassion, and a commitment to Jewish values.
For more information about The Associated, please visit: https://associated.org/
The Associated seeks a President with substantial and successful executive experience who has a vision and passion for Jewish values, Jewish community, continuity, peoplehood, and Israel with the ability to engage and inspire the Baltimore Jewish community.
Financial resource development will be a critical priority for the new President. The President must cultivate and steward relationships and serve as the primary solicitor with current and prospective donors, community foundations, the next generation of donors, and with multi-generational families who have been the historical foundation of The Associated’s support. Developing a fundraising plan that addresses renewed growth in the Annual campaign and prioritizes strategies that adapt to an evolving philanthropic landscape, will be a key focus for the incoming President. The President will also lead efforts to build The Associated’s endowment as well as special and emergency campaigns.
The new President must be a skilled organizational leader who can inspire and guide a high performing professional staff. The President will establish a culture that maximizes the skills and passions of the staff in their work with volunteers and the community.
Similarly, the President will partner with the Chair of the board and work with the Board to ensure appropriate governance and oversight. Continuing to build a pipeline of volunteer leaders and maximizing the involvement of volunteers throughout the organization will be an important responsibility of the President.
As a community leader, the President will build on a legacy of strong relationships with agency partners, organizations, synagogues, day schools, and other professionals in the community, with the goal of
enhancing collaboration and innovation to meet the needs of an ever-evolving landscape of Jewish life locally and abroad. The President must be a results-driven leader who will maintain and expand existing
programs to increase opportunities for community members to engage and strengthen their connections to Jewish life, ensuring a vibrant community for future generations.
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to the Board, staff, and the community. Assess the current landscape and develop a strategic plan that continues to position the Associated as the central convener and leader in the Baltimore Jewish community.
- Ensure that actions of The Associated are consistent with the Mission as defined by the Board and the organization’s Bylaws
- Provide meaningful engagement opportunities for leadership and community members across all demographics to participate in Jewish life locally, nationally and/or internationally
- Maintain The Associated’s historic connection with the State of Israel and Jewish communities across the globe particularly through the organization’s international partners
- Ensure a financially and operationally sound organization whose organizational budget is over $50 million annually
- Maintain the business aspects of The Associated including its diverse real estate portfolio and robust investment program with $1 billion in assets
- Communicate best practices and innovative ideas in Jewish communal growth while listening and learning from all
- Successfully engage a board of lay leaders to develop and implement strategic goals
- Respect the diversity of Jewish Baltimore and the community at large to ensure a respectful discourse and a culture of belonging for all who interact with The Associated
Resource Development and Generation
- Inspire donors and philanthropists by the mission of The Associated network of agencies and motivate them to support the organization’s mission
- Engage and steward donors of all levels to participate in The Associated’s Annual Campaign of $30 million and ensure its sustainability and growth
- Oversee supplemental and emergency campaigns as appropriate.
- Provide professional oversight and supervision of the social and communal work and fundraising activities of The Associated and its agencies as enacted with the Board
- Strategize the social, communal, and fundraising work and activities of The Associated and its agencies through collaboration and through evaluation of communal trends and data
- Conduct face to face solicitation with donors to develop and cultivate relationships and sustained giving
Organizational Culture and Talent Development
- Develop and motivate a strong, integrated professional team to deliver existing programs while launching effective new approaches and efforts to further the mission of The Associated network
- Foster a culture of customer service, appreciation, and collaboration across the professional team
- Retain, recruit, and hire top rated talent to provide professional leadership at The Associated and in The Associated network
External Relationships and Partnerships
- Serve as the voice of the Jewish community by having intimate knowledge of the multiple areas of focus of The Associated network, trends in the community, and the nuanced communal priorities
- Partner with Baltimore area Jewish organizations such as day schools, synagogues and other non-profits in building effective working relationships and strategic alignment
- Create relationships with key Baltimore leaders to position The Associated as a pivotal part of the Baltimore community and to be a partner in Baltimore’s future success
- Travel domestically and internationally to represent The Associated and the Baltimore Jewish community in the global Jewish community
Qualifications & Skills
The ideal candidate will offer the following qualifications:
- An exceptional fundraiser with a proven track-record of securing major gifts and stewarding new and existing relationships
- An engaging and inspiring leader who has a personal commitment to Jewish values, Jewish community, continuity, and Israel
- A business-minded leader with financial acumen to successfully oversee an organization with an annual budget of over $50 million, an endowment program of over $500 million and diverse real estate portfolio
- An inclusive and collaborative leader with extensive Jewish communal knowledge who can successfully interface with multiple demographics within and outside of the community
- A well-respected and articulate professional with non-profit and/or for-profit executive leadership experience
- An excellent communicator, orator and conversationalist able to tailor messaging to appropriate stakeholders and demographics
- An empathic individual with strong interpersonal skills
- A team builder who motivates others to perform at a high level to reach their goals
- A leader who can evaluate data, make recommendations to address communal trends and lead diverse audiences and stakeholders through change
- An experienced professional with superior organizational management skills
- A forward-thinking leader with courage to question the status quo; successful implementer of new initiatives
- An enthusiastic representative of Baltimore and the success of the City, County and State
Salary and Benefits:
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience.
Benefit & Perks: The Associated offers a hybrid work environment that supports professional development and collaboration. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, 401(k) employer match, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, holiday pay, wellbeing programming and a complimentary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We also make work/life balance a priority by offering generous vacation and sick time.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. The Associated is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with our Jewish values, The Associated supports a thriving Baltimore that celebrates diversity and appreciates the unique combination of gender, race, age, religion and ethnicity, sexual orientation, intellectual and physical disabilities, and special qualities that each resident adds to the fabric of life in Baltimore. We welcome everyone interested in our mission to join us. If you require accommodations, please contact us, and we will make every effort to meet your needs.
Amichaim Abramson, Partner
Jess Hammerman, Managing Director, Search
Tani Weissman, Senior Talent Consultant
Merav Schwartz, Associate
Henry Greenblatt, Associate