Candidates should be located in or willing to relocate to the Greater Washington (DC, MD, and Northern VA) region. Hybrid work options available.
The Development Officer, Donor Engagement, Next Gen is a relationship builder working with donors and lay leaders (volunteers) to engage and inspire the next generation of Jewish leaders in order to create a vibrant and open community for all Jews and their families in Greater Washington. He/she/they thrives on deepening connections, cultivating and stewarding leadership, and crafting and implementing engagement opportunities that strengthen individual and organizational relationships. The Development Officer will work with young adults within the Jewish community to elevate their involvement and investment in local, national and international Jewish life by helping them find and develop their philanthropy and leadership.
The Development Officer of Donor Engagement, Next Gen is a key member of our Financial Resource Development (FRD) team, and will be responsible for:
- Serve as a relationship manager to deepen and strengthen connection with young adult (20s and 30s) donors and prospects
- Personally identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors and prospects, securing gifts through face-to-face solicitations as part of a $20M+ annual campaign
- Development of moves management donor pipeline with clear targets and metrics for growing Ben Gurion Society (BGS) ($1,000 annual gift for 40 and under)
- Strategic focus on donor acquisition of rising philanthropists through inventory prospecting, scheduled outreach, connections with community members, and post-event follow-up.
- In collaboration with the Director of Donor Engagement, Next Gen act as a thought-partner with critical lay leadership (volunteers), including the Next Gen Co-Chairs, as well as the Next Gen Board to identify, initiate, and develop solicitation efforts, enhance current engagement initiatives, and foster opportunities for organizational and communal leadership development
- Trains and supports lay leaders by developing strategies for committees, meetings and events, and developing appropriate written materials including annotated agendas and operational plans (timelines for projects, solicitor recruitment plans).
- In consultation with the Director of Donor Engagement, Next Gen and the Next Gen co-chairs, assists in creating a pipeline for lay leadership.
- Develops and implements programming, events, and immersive travel experiences that further Federation’s philanthropic and leadership goals
- Works closely with key donors and cohorts, including, but not limited to, Pomegranate Circle ($1800+) Ora, learning cohorts, such as Mindful Masculinity or Womxn of Wisdom, and with the Donor Engagement team, to develop and implement cross-organizational engagement and fundraising strategies
- Plan, lead, and execute an educational leadership series for young adults, Nexus, that engages young people with Federation’s work and guides them in defining their own Jewish journey, in partnership with Nexus co-chairs
- Foster existing partnerships with organizations and partner agencies in the community who cater to young adults with the goal of advancing Federation’s mission
- Coordinate Birthright Israel community trips bi-annually in partnership with community agencies to staff, recruit, and follow-up with local Birthright participants. Serve as local contact for Birthright and Shorashim staff.
- Serve as local point of contact for Jewish Federations of North America Changemakers program by recruiting participants and coaches, and planning post-event follow-up plan for select participants
- Plan and execute donor engagement opportunities as required
- Manage Next Gen’s social media accounts and online presence
- Serve as a representative for Federation and Next Gen’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) principals. Work towards a Jewish future in Greater Washington that includes all Jews and the people who love them.
- Partner with colleagues across the Development team including Donor Engagement, Key Relationships and the Jewish Community Foundation and across the organization to enhance the philanthropic engagement and leadership development of Next Gen donors, prospects and lay leaders
The above job duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work for employees in this position, but this is not intended as an exclusive or all-inclusive inventory of all duties required of employees in this job.
Background, Qualifications and Success Factors
- 2-3 years of experience in annual fundraising, donor engagement, customer service, sales, or relationship or account management
- Strong donor-relations skills: proven ability in cultivating prospects and creating donor engagement strategies that lead to greater philanthropic support with a diverse population
- Data-driven decision-maker who is comfortable with analytics and data management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Experience in management of membership or volunteer operations and working with volunteer committees
- First-hand knowledge of the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; comfortable with and open to new technology
A People-Friendly Workplace
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington is an equal opportunity employer offering a people- friendly environment, including:
- Excellent health care and retirement benefits
- Generous time off
- Flexible work options
- Opportunities and an annual stipend for continued professional development
- Access to the JPRO Network, which connects, educates, inspires, and empowers professionals working in the Jewish nonprofit sector
The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington?envisions an open, connected, and vibrant Jewish community that cares for each other, fosters Jewish learning and journeys, embraces Jewish peoplehood and Israel, and acts as a force for good in the world. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, we work to inspire, build, and sustain vibrant Jewish life in a changing world by mobilizing our community in common purpose, intentional innovation, and effective action. Learn more at?shalomdc.org.