GatherDC’s Engagement Director will champion, teach, and manage our engagement portfolios and methodology, connecting hundreds of Jewish 30s across the DC-area to one another, to Jewish opportunities, and to a meaningful adult Jewish identity.
We are looking for a strategic, enthusiastic people-person with 5-8 years of professional experience in the nonprofit, community-building, and/or Jewish community space. We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
TITLE: Engagement Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling; if this ad is up, we’re hiring!
SALARY: $70k - $80k
LOCATION: Washington, DC (remote for time being)
WHO WE ARE:
GatherDC is the central platform for post-college/pre-family Jewish life across the DC-area and is building one of the most dynamic and inclusive cities for millennial and Gen Z Jewish life. We strengthen the fabric of Jewish life throughout the DMV, facilitating innovative opportunities for meaningful and relevant Jewish learning and stewarding relationships to help Jews in their 20s and 30s connect to Jewish organizations and to each other. We work with the rich network of Jewish communal synagogues, JCCs, and institutions to help them best serve young Jewish adults, and we champion relationship-based engagement, understanding that a thriving Jewish ecosystem is only as strong as the relationships we build with individuals and with the wider community.
WHO YOU ARE:
The Engagement Director will be GatherDC’s relational engagement champion, managing and inspiring the engagement team as they connect thousands of DC-area 20s and 30s to Jewish life, to each other, and to a more meaningful Jewish identity. You will provide leadership to the team, guide engagement strategies that best achieve our mission, manage several GatherDC fellowships and cohort experiences, work with the leadership team to build a stronger future for GatherDC, and successfully develop your own portfolio of relationships with Jewish 30s.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Manage the Engagement Team 40%
- Supervise engagement team members: guide their engagement work, help them achieve professional goals, and help them hone skills as community engagement professionals.
- Plan and facilitate monthly engagement team meetings to discuss individual community members we serve and how to best meet their needs.
- Learn and share out the larger trends emerging in the relational engagement field.
- Inspire the GatherDC staff to take a more relational approach to their work through regular team engagement trainings.
- Maintain and strengthen a people-focused approach in all organizational efforts.
Oversee 30s Engagement Portfolio 40%
- Form relationships with Jewish 30s through one-on-one coffee dates and active participation in the wider Jewish DC community.
- Plan and facilitate a mix of intimate and larger-scale experiences for Jewish 30s (e.g. Shabbat dinners, happy hours, giving circles, new experiences you dream up).
- Host GatherDC’s leadership development fellowships that train Jewish 30s to become facilitators, conveners, and supporters of Jewish life for their peers.
Data and Administration 10%
- Utilize GatherDC’s Community Relationships Management system to broaden our reach and integrate this data into the overall work of the engagement team.
- Maintain regular personal data entry to track, evaluate, and evolve engagement efforts with Jewish 30s and drive accountability within the rest of the engagement team to do the same.
- Work with team members to bring innovative projects to life.
- Execute office tasks as needed, including logistical preparation for your events, sending life cycle gifts to community members, etc.
Strengthen and Expand Organizational Partnerships 10%
- Organize and facilitate GatherDC’s monthly Jewish Professionals Collaborative, a cohort of Jewish professionals in the DC region.
- Manage and form new partnerships with local Jewish organizations to support the continued growth of GatherDC and the larger Jewish community.
- Represent GatherDC at community functions around the area.
- You have 5 to 8 years of professional experience.
- You have Salesforce (or equivalent CRM) proficiency.
- You’re a natural relationship-builder with an outgoing, professional demeanor.
- You’re awesome at wearing multiple hats in a fast-paced work environment.
- Most of all, you are an innovator with a positive spirit who loves to think big and bold.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You’re an effective manager. You have experience building trust and motivating those you manage to achieve excellence. You know what needs to happen to get results, and how to strengthen group dynamics to build a cohesive team with multiple portfolios and priorities.
You’re an independent self-starter. You are able to ideate and take action with minimal direction, and are highly motivated by successfully achieving your objectives. You’re comfortable with sitting in discomfort while you work through problems, and you’re able to move past roadblocks or difficulties to find alternative solutions to reach your goals.
You’re data-driven. You understand that while your work is steeped in forging and weaving relationships, it’s most effective when it’s guided by the data we collect and the trends that emerge from the data. You have a passion for finding the stories in the numbers and are excited by the prospect of blending the qualitative with the quantitative to change the Jewish DC landscape.
You have a strategic mindset. You’re able to zoom out of the daily grind and understand how the different components of the work fit together in the larger picture. You’re able to hold the macro and the micro simultaneously and are energized by the puzzle of how they all fit together, both in the present moment and in looking toward the future.
You’re an expert facilitator. It’s okay if you’ve never had formal training - we can teach you the tools and modalities! But you have the building blocks for greatness: you’re not only a good communicator but a good listener, and you understand how to gauge and guide group energies to maximize group cohesion and foster communication and connection.
You get the GatherDC methodology. GatherDC prioritizes people over programs and understands that cultivating genuine one-on-one relationships is the key to building connection, community, and meaning-making. You’re able to shift your paradigm to our people-first philosophy and let that guide every aspect of your work.
PLEASE DON’T APPLY IF:
You don’t like making new friends.
You hate change.
You aren’t awesome.
BENEFITS & SALARY:
- We offer a competitive salary ranging from $70,000 - $80,000, commensurate with experience.
- We are fully set up for remote work to accommodate Covid-19 safety and concerns; when it’s safe to do so, we are excited to have you join us full-time at the GatherDC townhouse in Dupont Circle.
- We provide amazing benefits, including robust employer-sponsored healthcare options, generous discretionary and sick leave, retirement matching, an annual professional development stipend, and more.
We deeply value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Jewish organizations. This includes Black, Latinx, and Asian people, Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrachi Jews, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter at http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx*******************e’re waiting for you!