Temple Solel offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and dynamic Executive Director who will collaborate with the Clergy, Professional Staff, and the Board of Directors. The Executive Director administers and coordinates the secular, operational, and financial health of the Synagogue and serves as the face of Temple Solel to develop robust and long-term congregant relationships.
Rabbi Alexis Berk joined our community last July and has brought a palpable spiritual energy, wisdom & inclusiveness to our warm, welcoming, and co-created community. Entering into his 11th year at Solel, Cantor Billy Tiep raises the bar each year with his abundant energy and mix of traditional and creative music. Our extensive and diverse programming is always growing and developing to meet the interests of our congregants. It's an exciting time at Temple Solel, and our experienced Senior Staff and committed Board of Directors are ready to be your partners.
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: President of Board of Directors
SUPERVISES: Synagogue Director, Director of Youth Programs, Director of Early Childhood Education, Director of Religious School and Accounting Assistant
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Leads the development and execution of the short- and long-term strategic planning objectives in collaboration with the Clergy, Board of Directors, and Senior Staff, ensuring that goals align with the vision, values and mission of Temple Solel.
2. Serves as a consultant to the Board of Directors and provides staff support to its committees, ensuring compliance with Temple By-laws.
3. Collaborates with the Treasurer and has a full understanding of the Temple’s financial records, including monthly balance sheets, income statements, cash flow, accounts receivable and aging reports. With Senior Staff, is responsible for creating annual budgets on both a cash and accrual basis, and can explain and offer course corrections for monthly variances. Participates in long-term financial planning, including investments and endowments to ensure financial stability.
4. Guides the marketing and communications plans for Temple Solel and evaluates for effectiveness.
5. Develops fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Board of Directors and Clergy, outlining and seeking growth opportunities and new revenue streams, including but not limited to grants, new donors, raising congregants’ level of membership commitments and estate planning.
6. Oversees the safety, security, maintenance and repair of the building and grounds.
7. Establishes external partnerships with banks, vendors and insurance companies.
8. Hires, mentors, establishes goals, evaluates personnel and designs programs to create a cohesive and successful work environment.
9. Ensures that Temple Solel provides its employees with competitive, market-based compensation and benefits and is in compliance with legally mandated guidelines and requirements.
10. Manages membership growth and retention.
11. Stewards the Financial Assistance process.
12. Oversees the maintenance of the information technology systems.
1. Must have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in managing not-for-profit organizations, including excellence in:
- leading a team and working effectively with a diverse group of staff, clergy, lay leaders and other volunteers;
- management of budget and finance functions;
- hiring and managing personnel;
- collaborative goal setting;
- strategic planning and implementation of strategies which lead to growth;
- facilities oversight and maintenance;
- effective communications and marketing;
- internal and external relationship management; and
- problem-solving and multitasking skills, including a track record of managing projects to their successful conclusion.
2. Knowledge of Jewish rituals and culture is preferred; however, a willingness to learn the customs and philosophies will be considered in the absence of a Jewish background.