Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, in a historic, landmarked building, with nearly 2,200 household members. While rooted in its legacy, Temple Emanu-El is also fueled by a sense of purpose, justice and innovation to invigorate Jewish life today. Whether through its Streicker Center for adult engagement, its exceptional nursery school, religious school and young families programming, Gather: Small Groups community, its work with those seeking conversion, Tikkun Olam programming and the Philanthropic Fund or its vibrant affinity group network (Men’s Club, Women’s Auxiliary, Chavurah: Women’s Study Group, New Members, Fifth & 65th), Temple Emanu-El is known for the quality of its engagement. Emanu-El is a bold community which sets itself apart from others due to its warmth and majesty.
The Senior Director of Community Engagement, overseeing membership and communications, will manage and direct all aspects of the member experience and create pathways to connect for those who choose not to formally join. This oversight includes the day to day membership experience and customer service, the membership database and its use as a tool to support targeted outreach and services (salesforce) and all aspects of communications, including digital media and livestreaming, social media strategy, public relations and internal and external communications. The Senior Director is an integral member of the Senior Staff, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (Executive Director) and working closely with the Clergy and senior staff leadership.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal Senior Director of Community Engagement candidate will be a strategic thinker with the ability to get work done. This person is a collaborator and partner, both with lay-leadership, working closely with the Membership and Digital Innovation & Communication committees, as well as working to bring departments together to develop programs that enrich members’ lives and more closely connect them to the congregation, as well as reach individuals who choose to connect more informally.
The Senior Director manages the following departments/major areas of work – membership, communications and salesforce. This includes supervising the Director of Communications who oversees the Communications Associate, the Social Media Coordinator and the part-time Director of Graphics, the Membership Coordinator and the part-time Membership Assistant, and identifying member-serving tools in Salesforce in partnership with the Director of I.T. and the Salesforce Administrator.
We are seeking a candidate who will design systems leading to an exceptional member experience and deeper community engagement. This individual will possess a team-oriented philosophy, project management skills and an ability to work with a broad range of constituencies.
The successful candidate should demonstrate the ability to:
• Promote the congregation’s vision and goals to members, lay leadership and the wider community
• Think strategically, analyzing trends and market data to lead projects associated with change
• Identify, develop, and implement engagement strategies and programs
• Lead a diverse team charged with membership engagement and support, communications, marketing, social media strategy and outreach
• Define, design, and drive a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy
• Budget, lead people and manage complex projects
Membership and CRM (Salesforce): Direct all aspects of member information management
• Oversee member data processing, including new member applications and monthly reporting package
• Work with Finance Team to define annual billing and membership renewals process
• Oversee ongoing implementation of Salesforce modules to engage members, gather data, and target communications to create a vibrant membership experience
Engagement: Support connection to the Congregation in person and virtually
• Manage congregational initiatives designed to enhance the member experience
• Envision and re-vision models of connection for in-person, hybrid and virtual experiences
• Model the highest level of customer service to all
• Support the Membership Committee and other relevant subcommittees
High Holy Days: Lead the process to prepare, manage the membership and communications team during the Holy Days and coordinate the post-holiday member experience.
• Manage the ticketing process: reserved seating changes, guest ticket requests and ticket mailing
Communications: Envision how the temple tells its story to our members and beyond
• Oversee the temple communications team: website, social media, email, internal, external and publications
• Collaborate and coordinate with various temple departments to ensure messaging is targeted and impactful
• Understand the metrics and impact through monthly reporting
• Support the Digital Innovation & Communication Committee and other relevant subcommittees
Other duties may be assigned as required
• Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• 5-10 years of proven management and people leading experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Salesforce, as well as a demonstrated familiarity with marketing and social media software
• Ability to represent the Synagogue in public settings
• Work evenings, weekends and High Holy Days; attend services, events or meetings as necessary
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.