About the Digital and Data Operations Manager Position:
The Academic Engagement Network (AEN), a national organization which seeks to educate and mobilize faculty members on American college and university campuses around issues related to Israel, antisemitism, academic freedom, and campus free speech, is seeking a Digital and Data Operations Manager.
The Digital and Data Operations Manager will be an integral member of the AEN national office staff, working closely with the AEN leadership team. He/she will be responsible for maintaining, organizing, and expanding upon AEN’s growing databases and internal systems, developing content for AEN’s website and internal and external communications, assisting in the planning and implementation of an array of AEN-sponsored events and programs, and conducting administrative tasks in support of AEN’s efforts to engage, educate, and mobilize faculty members in the national network.
For the time being, this position will be remote.* Once regular travel and in-person gatherings are possible, the Digital and Data Operations Manager will be expected to travel to AEN’s national office in Washington, DC for monthly team meetings, and to other AEN convenings and conferences throughout the continental US. Occasional travel to Israel may also be a possibility. DC residence, or a willingness to relocate to the metro DC area once the office has reopened is preferred.
Specific responsibilities of the Digital and Data Operations Manager will include:
• Overseeing and regularly updating AEN’s content management system, including membership databases and records, grant application and reporting systems, and contact and distribution lists
• Liaising with web designers and other consultants as needed to make necessary updates
• Utilizing the databases to support key AEN operations, including responding to requests for information from AEN’s Leadership Team
• Under the supervision of AEN’s Director of Communications and Programming, prepare AEN’s monthly newsletter detailing activities and updates
• Prepare AEN documents including invitation letters, reports, and communications to faculty members, partner organizations, and others
• Developing original written and visual content for AEN’s website
• Contributing to AEN’s social media activities
• Other writing, editing, and/or research projects as needed
Administrative and Logistical Tasks:
• Program management and administrative responsibilities, including tasks essential to AEN’s programming and disbursement of funds
• After in-person events are possible, helping to plan and execute AEN-sponsored events and programs, including interfacing with AEN members, consultants, guest speakers, hotel sales staff, vendors, and others
• Overseeing logistics at and helping run conferences, convenings, and other AEN-sponsored events
The Academic Engagement Network (AEN) is a national organization which seeks to educate and mobilize faculty members on American college and university campuses around issues related to Israel, antisemitism, academic freedom, and campus free speech. AEN has a four-part mission: to oppose efforts to delegitimize Israel on campus; to contribute to robust campus discussions and constructive teaching and research about contemporary Israel; to support academic freedom and campus free speech; and to respond to antisemitism on campus when it occurs.
AEN has grown steadily in size and prominence since its launch in 2015, now comprising over 760 faculty members on more than 260 academic institutions across the United States. AEN is led by a full-time professional staff with a national office in Washington, DC (all staff members are currently remote). Professor Miriam F. Elman (Syracuse University) serves as Executive Director. Mark G. Yudof, former president of the University of California, chairs AEN’s National Advisory Board whose members include distinguished university presidents, chancellors, and academics.
To support faculty members in their efforts to further our mission, AEN provides grants and other forms of financial support to faculty members to host campus programs; prepares guides and other educational resources; sponsors conferences, seminars, and convenings for faculty; offers advice and guidance to faculty members who are facing issues on their campuses; and connects and mobilizes members in a growing national multidirectional network.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, proactive, and inquisitive self-starter who is both intellectually curious about AEN’s issues and enjoys getting things done. Candidates should have excellent organizational skills, strong writing and research abilities, exercise good judgment, and be able to work effectively in a small and collaborative team setting. The position involves a good deal of operations/logistics work, as well as administrative responsibilities as outlined. There will be many opportunities to grow in this position, including taking on “stretch” assignments consistent with the candidate’s skills and interests and the needs of the organization.
Specific qualifications we are seeking:
• An undergraduate degree (B.A./B.S.) from a U.S.-based academic institution or foreign degree equivalent (required) plus 2-3 years of full-time relevant professional experience (preferred)
• Familiarity and prior experience with digital tools and platforms such as MS Office, Google Drive, Mailchimp, Active Campaigns (or similar CMS); experience/ interest in web design (preferred)
• General knowledge of and interest in best practices in digital technologies and social media
• Superb organizational skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to follow through on projects from start to finish
• An affinity for operations, logistics, and project management
• Strong writing and editing skills
• The ability to work well both independently and collaboratively in a small team setting
• Knowledge and demonstrated interest in issues relating to Israel, or the desire and ability to learn about such issues
• Familiarity with contemporary American campus politics and debates about Israel, Zionism, Jewish identity, and the Boycott Divestment Sanctions (BDS) movement (strongly preferred)
AEN offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, generous PTO and holidays, and subsidies for gym memberships and mobile phone plans.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and short (5 pages or less) writing sample to Raeefa Shams, AEN’s Director of Communication******************************ain open until filled.
*AEN is currently operating remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic.