The Jewish Federations of North America (JFNA) represents 146 Jewish Federations and over 300 Network communities, which raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually and through planned giving and endowment programs to support social welfare, social services and educational needs. The Federation movement, collectively among the top 10 charities on the continent, protects and enhances the well-being of Jews worldwide through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah (charity and social justice) and Torah (Jewish learning).
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Manager, Policy Engagement, will join a public affairs team that represents the Federation movement in several spheres, including before Congress and the Administration, and works with Federations and other Jewish communal networks to support local and state advocacy.
JFNA’s government affairs priorities focus on building flourishing Jewish communities by securing non-profit security funding; combatting anti-Semitism; helping our communities overcome the COVID-19 pandemic; addressing economic vulnerability, including by supporting stronger healthcare policies, Holocaust survivors and other older adults, and individuals with disabilities; promoting justice; and protecting charitable deductions.
The Senior Manager will help lead JFNA’s engagement with volunteers across the federation system to support effective government relations and will work collaboratively with IAN, JEDI endeavors, volunteer leadership and communications personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop and implement JFNA’s public affairs volunteer engagement strategy to deepen JFNA’s public policy goals, including:
• Recommending and implementing a key leader engagement and education strategy.
• Coordinating with Public Affairs and fundraising and other colleagues, JFNA leadership and the Domestic Policy and Government affairs volunteers to identify active federation volunteers who are interested and active in public policy.
• Conducting research to focus and grow recruitment.
• Developing programming to sustain and enhance volunteer involvement in public affairs.
Manage a database regarding volunteer engagement and advocacy tools such as Salsa and/or others.
Manage a communication system about JFNA public affairs news, in coordination with JFNA’s communications team, including by:
• Drafting communications for public affairs outreach with volunteers and professionals throughout the federation system and to our national partner agencies.
• Managing regular reports to DPGA, Federations’ government relations and community relations professionals and other relevant public affairs audiences.
• Ensuring regular and thoughtful communications about IAN’s work and achievements with key stakeholders, including lay committee, federation and community relations colleagues, and donors and supporters.
• Supporting JEDI stakeholder communications.
• Deepening and refining all aspects of public affairs communications with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
Maintain excellent relationships with professionals throughout the federation system and in other Jewish communal organizations, as necessary and appropriate, to support this work.
At least 5 years’ experience on a political campaign or Capitol Hill or in a Jewish or human services advocacy organization
Familiarity with elected officials and national politics.
An understanding of the organized Jewish community, particularly successful strategies for meaningfully engaging volunteers.
Strong inter-personal and multidisciplinary project skills.
Extremely organized with the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
Strong commitment to ethical practices.
Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator
Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative.
Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
Passionate, idealistic, mission-driven, and self-directed with integrity.
Ability to travel.
Bachelor’s degree required.
At JFNA we celebrate and welcome people of all identities and backgrounds. Additionally, JFNA complies with all laws with regard to providing reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need any accommodations to participate in the