Central Synagogue is a thriving reform congregation in midtown Manhattan, serving 2,500 families and the larger community. We work tirelessly toward a world in which Judaism is central to the lives of Jews everywhere and is a profound and positive force for humanity. We are relentless in our pursuit of that goal, constantly evolving to reach far beyond the walls of our synagogue to learn, worship, serve and continually redefine what it means to be Jewish today. For more information about our organization visit www.centralsynagogue.org.
Central's Membership department is responsible for ensuring an excellent membership experience, coordinating the High Holy Days across multiple departments, overseeing our membership database, and managing our membership waitlist. The Assistant Director of Membership will manage the creation and sustaining of Central Synagogue’s excellent member experience, by providing caring and proactive customer service to our members, managing member engagement initiatives, collecting qualitative feedback from members, and collaborating with other departments to improve the member experience across the organization.
Reports to: Director of Member Experience (DME)
• Monday – Thursday 9am–5:30pm; Friday 9am–4:30pm or equivalent
• Required to work the Jewish High Holy Days: Erev Rosh HaSahanah, Rosh HaShanah Kol Nidrei, and Yom Kippur Day, which may fall on evenings and weekends*
• Expected to work/attend evening or weekend events (2-5 per month) in addition to the High Holy Days, including Shabbat services and/or dinners*
*will earn comp time
• Member Experience: Working cross-functionally, ensure our members feel connected to Central and have their membership needs met
o Handle escalated customer service by phone and email; respond professionally, warmly, and humanly, including urgent, sensitive, and emotional situations
o Manage new-member on-boarding process, including events, new member interviews, welcome ambassadors, and cross-departmental outreach
o Use data from Salesforce to identify trends and opportunities to more deeply engage active members or re-engage inactive members
o Develop metrics in partnership with departments to report out to departments to track member engagement across different cohorts, eg, membership makeup of event attendance, to support decision-making and strategy
• Events Management: Create opportunities for our members to connect and build relationships with each other
o Plan and execute new-member events, membership anniversary events, home-hosted events, etc
o Manage cross-departmental High Holy Days planning, meetings, project management
o Lead front-of-house membership at High Holy Days services - ticketing, customer service, managing scanning temps
o Support lay-led congregation engagement incl Shabbat dinners, Seder & Break Fast matching, welcome committee, new member buddies, etc
• Department and project support: Support the membership department in functioning efficiently and achieving its short- and long-term goals
o Cemetery, High Holy Days ticketing, assigned seating, membership committee
o Become a Salesforce Power User and serve as a resource and champion across the organization for effective and efficient Salesforce usage
Experience: 5-7 years successfully working in a fast-paced, customer-oriented role
Skills & Knowledge:
• High level of computer (we use Windows) literacy required: proven ability to quickly learn new software, resourcefulness in troubleshooting technical issues
• Fluency in English required
• Experience with Salesforce or other CRM databases very helpful; otherwise the ability to become an expert quickly
• Experience (professional or personal) with membership- or community-based organizations
• Experience designing and executing events
• Experience with volunteer recruitment and management
• Works well independently by exercising discretion and independent judgement
• A passion for building Jewish community and engaging people with synagogue life
• This role is best filled by an extrovert and hyper-networker that loves engaging with a wide range of people and building relationships
• empathy: you are able to put yourself in others' shoes, you can “read between the lines” when someone says one thing but means another, you genuinely enjoy helping people
• self-motivation & sense of ownership
• superior written and spoken communication: you tailor what you say and how you say it based on the listener/reader and the situation, you ask follow-up questions to make sure you understand and are understood
• highly organized: you sweat the details and work hard to make sure everything is executed according to plan. But, you’re also comfortable making decisions on the fly.
• “improver” mindset: you're always noticing and suggesting ways to make things better
• Fast learner, takes initiative, anticipates needs and adapts to situations as they arise
Reporting Relationships and Decision Making:
On an ongoing basis, exercises independent judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences, and results having an impact on people, costs, and/or quality of service within the functional area. Plans and completes assigned duties on a regular schedule. Reports out to DEM and escalates issues as required.
Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality. To perform a variety of tasks; follows verbal and written directions; maintains good working relationships with others.