ABOUT CONGREGATION BETH ELOHIM IN ACTON, MA
An egalitarian, community synagogue located in Acton, Massachusetts. Independent and non-affiliated, we welcome diversity, including individuals and interfaith families, regardless of age, race, gender, economic or family status, ethnic background, mental or physical ability, or sexual orientation. We draw our membership from surrounding towns. As an oasis of Jewish life far from areas of high Jewish concentration, we embrace a progressive orientation, combining an appreciation for the sanctity of Jewish traditions with a sensitivity to the needs of a population which is religiously diverse. We commit to building and maintaining an anti-racist Jewish community. We offer a Jewish-themed preschool, a K–10th grade religious school, and Jewish educational programming from birth through adulthood.
Congregation Beth Elohim is an equal opportunity employer and is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness and seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff and congregants. BIPOC, immigrants, women, individuals with disabilities and LGBTQ+ are encouraged to apply.
The Administrator reports to a member of the Board of Directors but takes day to day direction from the Rabbi to assure our organization effectively provides for the collective needs of the congregation. The Administrator provides extensive administrative support enabling the smooth delivery of the synagogue’s religious, educational, cultural and social action activities, pastoral provision, life-cycle events and other aspects of membership engagement. The candidate needs to demonstrate exceptional initiative and efficiency, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and be prepared to work in full alignment with the principles and values of CBE.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an energetic and proactive professional with a passion and commitment for synagogue life.
- In conjunction with the VP of Operations, oversee the day-to-day operations of Synagogue.
- Work with rabbinic and educational team to develop and implement office policies and procedures. Look for ways to make office operations more efficient, easier for office staff, and of more benefit to congregants.
- In collaboration professional staff and Board of Directors, ensure congregational policies and procedures are implemented.
- Ensure operation and effective use of all office systems including synagogue software, internet capabilities, phone systems, security and safety systems, copier, etc.
- Sending out bereavement notifications and manage delivery of all annual yahrzeit reminder notifications.
- Deposit checks and coordinate payroll process with external processing company.
- General administration of CBE’s membership process, as needed. Maintain membership data in Synagogue software.
- Responding to, or referring on, all (prospective) membership inquiries received.
Program Coordination and Calendar Development and Management:
- Coordinate and maintain master synagogue calendar, collecting and organizing all facility and calendar requests.
- Work with the clergy and educational staff in planning of each year’s activities to ensure a balanced calendar.
- Provide administrative and logistic support to staff and volunteers required for the smooth running of programming.
- On-site presence at Synagogue events as needed (may be occasional weekend or evenings).
- Coordinate with custodian to ensure property remains in clean and good condition.
- Provide on-site supervision of repair and maintenance projects and as appropriate, obtain competitive bids for services, projects and contracts.
- Oversee rental of the facilities to members and community at large.
- Trustworthiness and the ability to maintain confidentiality of information relating to both the congregation’s business and its congregants. The person in this role will be privy to sensitive information and it will be crucial to be able to maintain that trust.
- Experience of working independently as an administrator within a busy office environment.
- Strong IT skills, including at least advanced knowledge of Microsoft excel and word, Google Docs and Zoom. Experience with (Shulcloud) CRM a plus.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including a positive ‘can-do’ attitude, warm telephone manner, service oriented, and a patient and calm approach.
- Ability to work under pressure; a competent multi-tasker with acute attention to detail.
- Prepared to undertake a wide range of tasks, a willingness to be flexible in approach to work, and an ability to work as an integral part of the team.
- Good knowledge of the workings of a synagogue and of the various Jewish life cycle stages a plus.