EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Outsourced – 10 hour/week
REPORTS TO: Financial Manager
I. Job Summary
Responsible for providing basic bookkeeping functions for synagogue including accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash receipts. Performs a variety of duties requiring initiative and attention to detail. Work entails dealing with issues requiring a high degree of discretion and tact. Works with, organization staff and vendors, Works independently with limited supervision.
II. Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities
- Open mail and code bills to prepare for semi-monthly cash disbursements; ? Posts check runs to the general ledger
- Reviews bills for accuracy and proper signature approval
- Investigates any discrepancies on bills and follows up on past due items. ? Assemble and review checks for signing; mail checks
- File check copies and back-up data
- Requests W-9 information as needed; prepare and file year-end 1099 tax statements
- Reports to ED individual contractor paid $500 or more within 20 days ? Perform such other duties as assigned
Cash Receipts and Accounts Receivable
- Prepare bank deposits for cash receipts
- Post payments to member accounts
- Post payments to the bank
- Run and post all credit card payments, note failed credit cards
- Report deposits, verify general ledger coding and post all batches to AR database and QuickBooks
- Set up new charge codes when needed
- Prepare and mail all monthly and annual billing statements
- Print month end AR reports as required
- Perform monthly reconciliation of QuickBooks income reports and corresponding AR database reports to verify that income ties; research discrepancies
- Run aged receivable reports for Executive Director and Membership Services ? Assist with year-end closing procedures, including reclassification of unearned income to new fiscal year
- Prepare and mail out year-end donor tax statement
- Update member accounts upon receipt of dues payment option (DPO) forms as well as Preschool and Religious School applications
- Process High Holy Day ticket and prayer book payments
General and Administrative
I. Equipment/Job Location
Most responsibilities involve sitting at a desk. Computers, copiers/printers, fax machines, and telephones are examples of equipment used. Some travel is required.
III. Working Relationships
- Report directly to Financial Manager
IV. Qualifications, Knowledge and Abilities
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and college-level accounting and/or business administration.
- A minimum of three years of bookkeeping experience. Non-profit experience a plus.
- Familiar with fund and project accounting
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good organization skills and ability to multi-task; attention to detail. ? Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Expertise working with Microsoft office suite products, including Word and Excel, as well as accounting software programs. Knowledge and proficiency with QuickBooks accounting software a plus.
V. Work Hours Per Week Required
This is an outsourced position