The Senior Jewish Educator at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illini Hillel) will help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life on campus. As an authentic Jewish teacher, the educator will provide leadership for the Hillel community through grassroots community organizing, spiritual connection, and community engagement. The Senior Jewish Educator will develop and maintain relationships with students less engaged with Jewish life and will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus.
What You’ll Do
- Creates and fosters relationships with 200 Jewish students and empowers them to lead on campus
- Mentors and grows Jewish student communities dedicated to spirituality, social justice and community service
- Creates, leads and recruits for learning opportunities for under-involved students
- Engages Jewish fraternities and sororities on campus through relationship building, programming and partnering
- Mentors and supervises student groups and committees
- Be a team player and a support network to the highly energized and hardworking Illini Hillel staff
- Advances Hillel’s mission in the local Jewish community, campus community and beyond while representing the organization in the highest professional manner
- Works with staff to support and participate in Holiday and Shabbat Programming Participates as a full member of The Hillels of Illinois Staff in local, regional and national Hillel programs and programs of the Jewish Federation as may be appropriate
- Directly supports JUF campaign integration on an ongoing basis in addition to mandatory campaign-related activities
What You’ve Accomplished
- Rabbinic ordination or an advanced degree in Jewish studies, Jewish education or a related field.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience. Experience in grassroots community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or experiential Jewish education is helpful.
- Proven success in community building and outreach, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
- Training and experience in counseling, administration, development/fundraising is desirable.
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Is able to collaborate with a team of enthusiastic professionals and students and advance joint goals.
- Excellent communication skills
- A dynamic personality and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Computer skills, including MS Office, Google Docs, CRM and social media.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends
About Cohen Hillel at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
With nearly 3,000 Jewish students, Illini Hillel becomes a home-away-from-home for students from the Chicago Metropolitan area, downstate Illinois, and around the world. On a daily basis, dozens of students relax at Hillel between classes and throughout the day; staff members are frequently seen around campus engaging new students and promoting exciting events. Hillel serves thousands of students at Illinois through programs, Shabbat services and dinners, and immersion experiences.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Cohen Hillel at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.