Congregation Emanu El seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to serve as the congregation’s first Director of Congregational Advancement. The position will serve as a pivotal member of the Senior Staff team and will report to the Executive Director. The Director of Congregational Advancement will also work closely with the Senior Rabbi, lay leaders and other constituents to advance the mission of Emanu El.
Congregation Emanu El was founded in 1944 and, with a membership of more than 1650 families, is one of America’s largest Reform synagogues. The congregation boasts an active Sisterhood and Brotherhood, Elders group, Young Professionals group, and Youth groups, as well as two thriving education centers, the Helfman Religious School for K-12 learners and The Becker School, which serves our youngest learners. Emanu El has been a leader in community service, education, arts and culture, and social justice since its inception. The two statements which flank our pulpit: “Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God” and “Be a light unto the nations” reflect the dual commitment of Emanu El: to teach its members the values through which Jews infuse their lives with spiritual meaning, and to provide them a place to bring those values to life through service to the Jewish people and all humanity.
The Director of Congregational Advancement’s primary charge will be to develop, plan and lead a congregation-wide fundraising effort. By doing so, the Director of Congregational Advancement will cultivate, develop and deepen members’ relationships with our congregation. With the support of staff and volunteers, the Director of Congregational Advancement will engage new and existing members with programs, opportunities and activities that suit their talents and interests. These relationships will underpin the Director of Congregational Advancement’s responsibility for planning and implementing all aspects of congregational fundraising, including endowment, planned giving, support for capital campaigns, a major gifts program and other fundraising initiatives. The Director of Congregational Advancement will create and implement a plan that includes cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and will develop and maintain systems to support fundraising, including donor management, research, gift processing and recognition/stewardship. The Director of Congregational Advancement will create an annual fundraising plan to advance Emanu El’s congregation-wide priorities.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* In partnership with the Senior Rabbi, Executive Director and lay leadership, establish measurable annual goals to increase fundraising year over year.
* Secure funding from individuals and foundations.
* Develop internal processes and systems to cultivate, solicit and steward donors.
* Plan and execute special events with the support of Emanu El staff and lay leadership.
* Supervise data entry and maintenance to ensure timely donor acknowledgement and accurate reporting.
* Produce timely and accurate reports on charitable contributions and income and expense budgets, and assure sound fiscal operations of development department.
* Hire, mentor, train, supervise and evaluate development team staff as department grows.
* Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising.
* Stay informed about best practices in the development profession, continually evaluating new and emerging ideas for potential implementation.
Executive Leadership and Administration:
* Collaborate with the Senior Rabbi, other Senior Staff colleagues and the Board of Trustees to advance Emanu El’s mission and strategic objectives.
* Cultivate and sustain a strong partnership with the Board of Trustees to leverage board expertise and connections to achieve fundraising goals.
* Represent Emanu El in activities and events as needed, ensuring a positive image of the congregation to its various constituents.
* Attend all Board meetings and provide reports as requested in advance.
The ideal candidate has the following education and experience:
* 5+ years of fundraising experience with a proven track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals.
* Thorough understanding of fundraising, including best practices regarding donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
* Experience developing, managing and implementing a comprehensive development program.
* Strong understanding of donor database management, gift processing, and fundraising reporting.
* Self-motivated and able to work independently.
* Proactive and motivated to build a culture of philanthropy and comprehensive development program.
* Willing to ‘roll up your sleeves’ and work collaboratively with team members to achieve common goals.
* Proven track record of successfully managing staff and volunteers at all levels of seniority.
* Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills.
* Ability to solve problems and think strategically.
* Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
* Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Salary and Benefits
The salary is $85,000 to $100,000. Relocation allowance is available for out-of-town candidates. This position includes a strong benefit package, including pension contribution, employer sponsored health insurance, cell phone reimbursement, professional organization membership and conference attendance.