Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, grounded in a rich history of Jewish communal leadership in the city and beyond. Our congregation is dynamic and forward-looking, and as our current membership of 2,300 families grows, we remain committed to ensuring that new and current members alike, as well as non-members who connect with us have high quality and meaningful experiences in all aspects of synagogue life.
The Membership Assistant provides administrative support and serves under the supervision of the Director of Community Engagement. Professional responsibilities primarily include:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answer membership phone line onsite at the Temple; serve as a resource for prospective and current members on a wide range of topics, such as membership options, billing inquiries, and learning how to get involved.
- Assist with answering the Temple phone line, as needed
- Provide consistently high levels of customer service to members and non-members
- Confirm tour dates with visiting groups and maintain list of upcoming tours
- Support the Membership and Engagement team with other administrative work, such as mailings and processing returned mail
- Support Temple volunteers with clerical and project based needs
- Staff Shabbat services throughout the year (up to 24 Friday evenings and 12 Saturday mornings)
- Assist with engagement programming and events
Customer Relationship Management (Salesforce)
- Process membership applications and create new accounts
- Organize and file supporting documentation: member applications, billing details, changes in account status, life cycle event notifications, resignations, and dues adjustments
- Updates contact and life cycle information as needed
- Works closely with the Communications and Technology teams
High Holy Days
- Play an active role in creating a meaningful High Holy Day experience: field inquiries regarding member seating and guest tickets, assist with mailings and other duties as assigned
- Provide excellent customer service during the High Holy Days as part of the Membership and Engagement team.
- Assists with other High Holy Day preparations as needed
Other duties may be assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess or exhibit the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years administrative, receptionist or other related work experience
- Advanced interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of staff, clergy, volunteers, donors and community members, anticipating the needs of others
- Professional work style, ability to represent the temple in public-facing roles
- Self-motivated, thinks ahead and takes initiative on projects
- Able to work independently and on a team, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy, highly developed organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and general comfort with technology
- Experience with Salesforce or another CRM is a plus
- Must be available to work in-person on Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and for occasional Sabbath services
Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The Congregation does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need