Temple Emanu-El is an open, inclusive, and welcoming Reform Jewish congregation located in Oak Park, MI. With a membership of 350+ families and a foothold in the surrounding Jewish area, we strive to create meaningful engagement with the many facets of our community’s diverse spiritual lives.
We believe wholeheartedly that we are “a family of families,” and that notion can be tangibly felt in every nook and cranny of our organization. From our vibrant and well-respected Early Childhood Community (ECC) to our high-priority endeavors in social action initiatives, we offer opportunities to engage in Jewish life as a valued member of our Temple family.
As such, we are in search of a dynamic and experienced Executive Director to lead the day-to-day management of our Temple. The Executive Director will work as a part of our Leadership team – including the Clergy, Education and ECC Directors, President, other officers, and our Board of Trustees – to maintain a warm, caring, and supportive relationship with our congregants and the larger community.
In addition, the Executive Director will have the following areas of responsibility:
Manage staff and key operating procedures:
• Hire, supervise, train, and motivate staff members.
• Develop the process by which employees are evaluated and work with individual staff members to set clear performance goals.
• Analyze and pressure-test existing SOPs to establish more efficient ways of operationalizing the organization.
Provide organization and structure to money management:
• Oversee financial systems including payroll, benefits, taxes, budgeting, purchasing, contracting, insurance, and financial resources.
• Co-develop the annual budget in conjunction with Temple Leadership, identifying opportunities to allocate spend based on positive past performance.
• Implement agreed-upon policies for the allocation and distribution of resources.
Play an active role in fundraising and programming efforts:
• Coordinate and oversee fundraising efforts and individual donor cultivation in collaboration with Leadership.
• Identify opportunities for funding through grant programs and manage the process for preparing and submitting appropriate applications.
• Assist Leadership in researching, planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating all programs and services.
Recruit, engage, and retain members:
• Work directly with the Member Engagement Committee to create a robust system for recruitment and retention of members.
• Orchestrate and implement outreach initiatives for members across spiritual, social, and educational programming.
• Amplify the interests and needs of members to the broader Leadership team by creating an efficient process for understanding and addressing feedback.
Provide direction for Marketing and Communication resources:
• Drive the creation of a strategic Communications strategy across key channels including: Web, CRM, social media, and print.
• Promote Temple within the larger community to generate awareness of the vision and mission of the organization.
• Build partner relationships with community, regional, and national groups.
What you bring to the role:
• You promote a positive strength-based culture of teamwork, diversity, collaboration, open communication, and respect.
• Your interpersonal skills are off the charts, and you enjoy interacting with people from all walks of life.
• You possess a love for financial management, and you can use data to tell a story.
• You are adept at creative problem-solving.
• You like to challenge the status quo and don’t believe in the notion that “it’s always been done that way.”
• You enjoy leading a team of people toward the same common goals.
• You function with clarity, transparency, and integrity.
• You are able to prioritize and make critical decisions quickly and sometimes without all the information.
• You have the ability and desire to be an ambassador for Temple Emanu-El.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• 8+ years in a leadership role; direct management experience required.
• Minimum 3 years of non-profit fundraising or other revenue-generating experience.
• Experience using financial management software (e.g., QuickBooks).
• Strong knowledge of Marketing and Communications functions with an emphasis on CRM and digital media.
• Proven ability to manage programs from implementation through execution.
• Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
• Comprehensive Benefits program including medical insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off
• Temple membership and religious school tuition; ECC tuition negotiable
• Professional dues; funding for professional development