EZRA’s Multi Service Center is a community-based service center that provides emergency services to Chicago’s Edgewater, Uptown and Lakeview communities. EZRA is home to the JUF Uptown Cafe, Chicago’s first kosher anti-hunger program, which feeds people who are hungry while nourishing their spirits. Meals are served in a restaurant-like atmosphere by volunteer wait-staff from the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago’s TOV (Tikkun Olam Volunteer) Network.
The JUF Uptown Cafe Case Manager is responsible for staffing, volunteer support, and client support for the JUF Uptown Cafe.
Key areas of responsibility:
Staffing of JUF Uptown Cafe
• Welcome, orient and debrief Cafe volunteers regarding meal procedures, the mission and goals of the program and the collaboration with EZRA and JUF.
• Enforce House rules with a calm and consistent demeanor, paying special attention to guests who may be ill, attention-seeking, disruptive, or disrespectful.
• Implement behavioral plans and disciplinary time-outs with respect and dignity.
• Visit with Cafe guests during meals with attention paid to client hygiene, grooming and interpersonal interactions.
• Foster and support positive behavioral change, focusing on social function, while providing crisis intervention as necessary.
• Obtain and maintain food service certificate once hired for this position.
• Conduct Cafe intakes
• Serve as the primary contact for case management for clients in the cafe program, when needs arise
o Work with clients in crisis to determine need for rental, utility, and other financial assistance.
o Conduct benefits assessments and link clients with public benefits and resources they are eligible for.
o Provide advocacy surrounding a variety of issues, including benefits maintenance and financial assistance with other agencies and through Financial Assistance Committee
o Assist clients in navigating the health insurance marketplace to obtain affordable health insurance.
o Assist clients with money management, credit counseling, budgeting and payment planning
• Facilitate Sunday program presenters in coordinator with Health and Pantry Coordinator
• Follow-up with Cafe guests who have absented themselves from participation.
• Enters case notes accurately and on a timely basis.
• Timely data entry
• Coordinate Top Box List
o Maintain contact with all clients to determine who will receive food via Top Box delivery.
o Update weekly Top Bix List and communicate with Top Box personnel.
o Serve as on-call for at least one day of Top Box delivery to troubleshoot client issues.
• Participate in Case Managers Round Table
• Participate in weekly Team meetings
• Participate in weekly Staff Meetings
Key Essential Job Duties/Physical Requirements:
• Mobility: Repetitive movement of arms and hands to operate computer, smartphone, keyboard and mouse.
• Ability to operate equipment such as phone, computer keyboard, calculator and standard office equipment.
• Ability to sit, stand, bend, twist and/or walk on a frequent basis throughout an 8 hour day.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of individuals, both orally and in writing.
• Mental Abilities: Must be able to operate equipment such as phone, computer keyboard, calculator and standard office equipment.
• Vision Abilities: See detail in objects; distinguish between colors, shades and brightness and ability to focus.
• Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
• Repetitive movement of arms and hands to operate computer, keyboard and mouse.
• Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday – 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Post- Pandemic (or when we can safely re-open the café)*
Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 6 :00 p.m.
Sunday 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
*There may be some flexibility on this schedule.
Must be willing to work occasional secular holidays