This leadership position is a critical team member of Camp Ramah Darom, serving as an instrumental, go-to leader of Camp alongside the Camp Director. This person will play a role in all aspects of summer camp operations and will be looked to for guidance and direction all year long. This creative, organized and energetic leader will have responsibility for management of summer staff recruitment, staff hiring and training, supervision of senior summer staff and program development.
Ramah Darom is seeking a collaborative team-player who will assume responsibility for all aspects as may be required for the day-to-day running of camp throughout the year. As a member of the Camp team, this person will also help to recruit campers and be a general spokesperson for Camp at home and on the road. This is a full-time position based in Atlanta, GA.
Primary Job Responsibilities Include:
Summer Staff Recruitment
o Plans and coordinates, in collaboration with the Camp Director, the annual summer staff recruitment/retention process. Seeks to hire an exceptional team.
o Manages all administrative aspects of the hiring process, including the application process, job postings, distribution of application information and contract materials for hired personnel.
o Oversees the Operations Associate in maintaining the staff database and tracking the status of all pending applications and job offers to ensure timely follow-up and closure.
o Screens potential staff members, ensures prompt communication to all inquiries and conducts initial interviews with all new staff applicants.
o Maintains regular contact with veteran staff members during the year, including through communications, learning opportunities and visits.
o Evaluates, as a member of the Camp management team, the quality of Camp programming and develops plans to improve and enhance such programming.
o Researches new program opportunities and creates proposals for how to implement such opportunities.
o Plans, in collaboration with the Camp Director and the Program Coordinator, new Camp programs, including age level specific programs, all Camp programs and specialty area programs such as camping, drama, art, sports and so forth.
o Oversees the Program Coordinator in establishing schedules, trips and staff activities for the summer as well as logistics and educational quality of year-round events.
o Works closely with Community Care & Inclusion Manager and our Tikvah program to ensure an inclusive summer.
o Prepares and implements annual staff training calendar and schedule in collaboration with the Program Coordinator and the Community Care and Inclusion Manager.
o Ensures excellence in educating staff as to their responsibilities.
o Continuously develops, with the Camp Director, Ramah Darom’s training philosophy and annual training goals and objectives.
o Assesses current programs, integrates National Ramah’s training curriculum and develops innovative and engaging approaches to training.
Other Leadership Duties
o Recruits campers and travels on behalf of Camp to lead programs and information sessions across our region.
o Supervises summer senior leadership. Provides ongoing observation and feedback.
o Monitors staff morale during the summer along with the Program Coordinator and serves as the first point of contact for resolving personnel conflicts.
o Assists with operations pieces, including, but not limited to, staff housing and camper bunking.
o Communicates with the Camp Director on a daily basis during Camp, bringing issues and successes to her attention, and seeks regular guidance and instruction in carrying out responsibilities.
o Ability to step in for Camp Director and perform other duties as requested by Camp Director.
• Reports to the Camp Director and Head of Education.
• Supervises the Program Coordinator, Operations Associate and summer staff leadership.
Ideal candidates will possess the following credentials and skills
• Academic degree in Jewish education, rabbinic ordination or MA in a related field or discipline.
• 5+ years of experience in Jewish education, program development and management.
• Strong Judaic and Hebrew background.
• Commitment to working with shared leadership in cross-functional teams.
• Demonstrated history of successful achievement, organizational ability and work performance.
• Thorough knowledge of, and competence in, the use of office computer software. Capability of learning web-based applications and other new systems.
• Regular work on nights and weekends as well as travel.
• Summer residency of approximately 11 weeks at Ramah Darom’s campus in Clayton, GA.
• Personal commitment to living a lifestyle consistent with that of an educational leader of the Conservative Movement.
• Ability to build trusting and lasting relationships with campers, camper parents, staff, professional leaders and other partners.