Job Description – Executive Director
Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael is a Conservative Egalitarian Synagogue in Springfield, NJ, affiliated with The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. At Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael, we are dedicated to enriching the lives of our congregants by providing an inviting environment for spiritual, educational, and social interaction. Joining our synagogue means becoming part of a greater, sacred community, bound together in its commitment to Judaism and the future of Judaism as a spiritual family. Belonging to our congregation means participating in a variety of ways: the sense of community that you will gain, the lasting friendships you can build, the spiritual growth you can pursue, and the opportunity to participate in the building of a temple community with which you can identify.
We are an inclusive congregation, welcoming the broader community of mature couples, singles, families, interfaith families, and those of the LGBTQ community. We are dedicated to enriching the lives of our congregational family by providing an inviting environment for spiritual, educational, and social interaction and growth. Through the actions of our clergy and our members, we invest and engage in activities that:
• recognize the abundant diversity of cultures;
• respect cultural differences;
• acknowledge the validity of different cultural expressions and contributions;
• value what other cultures offer;
• encourage the contribution of diverse groups;
• celebrate the differences in order to bring about unity through diversity;
Our objective is to preserve the customs and rituals of our religious heritage while acknowledging the realities of the ever-changing demographics of our congregational profile. We offer our membership and community a wide variety of educational, spiritual, and social programs. Our Early Childhood Program and Religious School are first rate. We have an active Men’s Club, Women’s League, Teen Institute (Hebrew High School) and Adult Education programs.
At Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael, our dedication to lifelong learning begins at 2 months of age in our New Jersey State Certified Early Childhood Program. The Religious School offers exciting and fulfilling programs both in the classroom and out in the community. Our Teen Institute, for post Bar/Bat Mitzvah students, offers an exciting mix of social events and learning opportunities. The College Connection initiative keeps our college students allied to the rest of our congregational community, and our Adult Education programs revitalize the joy of Jewish learning for all ages. Jewish education at Temple Beth Ahm Yisrael is a multigenerational, never-ending experience.
The Executive Director Role: TBAY seeks a pro-active, responsive, experienced, and energetic Executive Director for our wonderful congregation. Our Executive Director can handle varied responsibilities on a daily basis, ranging from managing our budget to meeting prospective members. He or she will be comfortable in a top leadership role, responsible for maintaining our operations, and solidifying our priorities. Our best candidate will be able to work collaboratively with our clergy, led by Rabbi Adrienne Rubin, our entire office staff, Pre-School and Religious School directors, and our active, highly participatory Board and Executive Board.
Some of the required characteristics of our Executive Director include: Creative, Highly Organized, Savvy in Basic Technology (Chaverware, Quickbooks, Zoom, and Microsoft Office), Driven, Friendly, Interpersonal, and a Leader. He or she will know how to create and manage a budget, be naturally collaborative, responsive, help guide TBAY toward maintaining our mission, and help us grow our membership base. The role will report to the TBAY President.
At a more granular levels, the duties of the Executive Director include:
- Execute and implement the policies of the synagogue as established by the Board of Directors;
- Fiscal management of the synagogue including accounts payable and receivables, financial reporting, budgeting, and insurance;
- Working with the Pre-School and Religious School Directors to help run these vitally important contributors to the Synagogue (including being in attendance during all Religious School hours);
- Facilities management including building usage, space allocation, building repairs, and security;
- Along with the Personnel Committee and President, management of personnel (except Clergy). This includes background checks, reviews, oversight of facilities staff, etc.;
- Assist members and clergy in life-cycle events, and other religious needs of the membership, as appropriate;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of the TBAY office staff, Pre-School and Religious School Directors, and teachers;
- Maintain an overall calendar of congregation activities and provide for its implementation;
- Coordinate with staff and volunteers on special projects and events, working with our new Events Coordinator, Shabbat, and holiday programming, including Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services;
- Attend Board Meetings, Executive Board Meetings, Budget Committee Meetings, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services, and others as needed;
- Coordinate TBAY Food service activities Oneg Shabbat, Kiddush, caterer, etc.;
- Perform additional activities as requested by the President.
- Proven as a leader and manager, preferably for a non-profit organization;
- Highly collaborative and able to work with staff and volunteers across many disciplines and backgrounds;
- Able to multi-task and switch priorities in a very dynamic environment;
- Skilled at purchasing;
- Modern in your knowledge of technology, including social media and email in order to promote synagogue activities and increase membership;
- Knowledgeable about fundraising and marketing;
- Confident when talking to new, old, or perspective members;
- Responsive to inquiries in a timely fashion and strong at written and verbal communication.
We look forward to meeting with you and both reviewing your candidacy and answering any questions.
Interested candidates should submit their resume********************