About the Position
Synagogue Emanu-El is Charleston’s only Conservative Synagogue. We are a vibrant, diverse and growing community, in a beautiful city that is consistently rated as a top place to live in America. We are seeking a Communications, Marketing and Social Media Coordinator to oversee the following areas: all communications from the synagogue, both digital and print; website and online presence; marketing and advertising of programs; and our Social Media presence. We are looking for someone who is excited about the opportunity to build a brand, work with an energetic and creative team in implementing ideas to promote our Synagogue and engage our community. This is a growth opportunity for someone with the right skills.
• Develop and manage a communication strategy in collaboration with the Rabbi and Executive Director.
• Responsible for daily and weekly email communications, social media posts, printed weekly announcements and our monthly newsletter, The Scroll.
• In COVID-times, organizing Livestream/Zoom schedules, making sure the information is accurate and well-distributed.
• Develop and manage marketing strategy for events and programs in order to engage current membership, with a focus on outreach to potential members and the wider Jewish community.
• Assist Religious School Director with email and print communications and program marketing as needed.
• Help to creatively adapt and grow an established Synagogue brand and voice in an effort to engage current and new congregants in innovative ways.
• Coordinate the Synagogue’s presence on Social Media to strengthen outreach.
• Find new ways to connect with congregants, highlighting their voices and telling their stories.
• Document through pictures and video synagogue programming for use on the website, email and Social Media.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree, in a related field such as communications, public relations or relevant field.
• Minimum two years of experience in related field of work.
• Capacity to provide both vision and attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including the ability to write creatively and effectively under deadline
• Creative marketing instinct, with a discerning messaging and design sensibility
• Knowledge of and comfort with Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Suite and Constant Contact. Familiarity with ShulCloud and Canva a plus.
• Video and photo editing skills a plus.
• Expertise in leveraging social media for promotion of the Synagogue, events and fundraising.
• Can work both independently and as a part of a team.
• Ability to partner with staff, board members and community members.
• Occasional weekend/evening duties around certain programs.
• Willing to step up and help others when help is needed.
• Genuine investment in the Synagogue and community.
Salary and Benefits
• Part-Time Position. Salary commensurate with experience.
• Healthcare stipend, Sick Leave & Vacation time.
• Leave early for Shabbat and Holidays with time off for the Jewish Holidays
• Professional Development Funding.
To Apply for this Position
Please send via email an updated resume, cover letter and list of 3 references