The Assistant Director of ECE will report directly to the Director of ECE and will have a critical role in creating and maintaining a positive learning environment for staff and families enrolled in the preschool and other ECE programs. The Assistant Director will ensure that ECE programs operate in accordance with JCC policies and state licensing standards to provide an educational, nurturing, and safe environment for children, staff, and parents.
• Work with the Director of ECE to run the day-to-day operations of the Preschool, i.e. call subs, step into classrooms as needed, contact parents as necessary, support children with behavioral issues as they arise, and step in for the Director in his/her absence.
• Handle all licensing paperwork and process inspection and accident reports.
• Act as a secondary supervisor for preschool teachers and other preschool staff.
• Maintain current and accurate files of all preschool employees, including documentation of performance issues, trainings, and ECE credits.
• Observe and monitor staff performance, and recommend adjustments as necessary.
• Organize staff schedule, coordinate staff meetings, and provide training opportunities.
• Work with Director and/or independently to design and lead staff professional development trainings related to ECE issues, regulations and DEI work.
Support and Communication
• With Director, manage issues and concerns from parents/guardians.
• Conduct parent/guardian meetings and center tours.
• Assist staff with developmentally appropriate practices in early childhood education.
• Help manage and mitigate children’s behavioral issues when they arise, including maintaining documentation of issues.
• Create weekly newsletter for preschool families.
• Manage purchasing of all supplies and materials.
• Assist in building and management of the annual ECE budget.
• Assist with preschool enrollment; process applications, manage Ultracamp.
• Maintain visual displays within the preschool.
• Help plan and execute celebrations and all-school gatherings.
• Participate in training programs, conferences, seminars, courses, and other professional development opportunities and continuing education.
• Maintain presence at school 5 days a week, for entire school day, plus some evening and weekend requirements.
• Knowledge of Jewish values, traditions, and practices.
• Participate in JCC wide programs, trainings, and community engagement opportunities.
• Connect ECE families and events with other JCC programs and departments.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of ECE and/or COO.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• BA or BS in education, child psychology, or other related field preferred.
• Minimum of 4 years teaching experience with ages 2-5 years.
• Completion of 12+ core ECE units, 3+ administration units.
• Maintain CPR and First Aid certification as well as food handler’s license.
• Knowledge of current research and practices in early childhood education.
• Competent in various skill areas such as planning, scheduling, record keeping, classroom environmental design and arrangement, and classroom management.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to organize tasks and implement plans to efficiently meet organizational goals.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Ability to be on your feet for a full day; sit on the floor and get up and down with ease.
• Ability to lift and carry children, help with clothing, shoes, or other needs.
• Ability to diaper change or help children with toilet needs.
• Quick reflexes to respond to needs of children.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Salary information will be shared one-on-one with candidates. Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, and holidays (including Jewish).
The JCC East Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. JCC East Bay policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. The JCC East Bay complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require particular accommodations during the application and interview process, please inform us of your needs so that we can provide accordingly.