Boca Jewish Center (BJC) is a Modern Orthodox Synagogue located in Boca Raton, FL. We currently have almost 200 member families. We are looking to hire an Administrative Assistant who will be comfortable wearing multiple hats in our very busy office. This individual needs to be creative, tech-savvy, and motivated. He/she should possess outstanding grammar, editing, time management, interpersonal, and basic financial data entry skills. He/she will work closely with the Senior Rabbi & Executive Director in many aspects of synagogue life. The position requires dependability and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and proactively, all with a degree of professionalism and an ability to effectively work in team settings, with our leadership and congregants and respond to a dynamic work environment. This individual reports directly to the Executive Director.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SUPPORT EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Provide administrative and organizational support for the Executive Director by managing and coordinating the systems and processes necessary to support operations. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Maintaining accurate recording keeping of our database and sending notices (yahrzeit, birthday, anniversary, condolence, etc.).
• Coordinating and disseminating development and membership correspondence; and processing new member information.
• Financial record-keeping/basic bookkeeping duties, including but not limited to receiving payments from congregants, applying them to their accounts, depositing checks and cash in the bank, entering all bills into QuickBooks, and cutting checks weekly, providing reports on demand when needed; ensuring the accuracy of all financial transactions that are made and received within the Synagogue office.
• Support Executive Director with project implementation, including membership development, event logistics, infrastructure projects, day-to-day operations, etc.
• Answering phones and responding as appropriate.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO SUPPORT THE RABBI
Support the Rabbi in meeting the community’s needs, including responding to urgent or emergent issues that immediately “rise to the top” including, but not limited to scheduling pastoral visits and calls; support in maintaining the Senior Rabbi’s calendar, scheduling appointments, and effectively facilitating correspondences by phone and email, with attention to detail, sensitivity, and confidentiality. Support the implementation of projects, initiatives, lay leader interactions, and follow-up efforts, attentive to the need to balance urgency and importance of congregational matters. When appropriate, attend certain meetings with the Rabbi to enhance follow-up efforts. Assisting the Rabbi with the Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund, and all items related to such activity.
HOLIDAYS & LIFE CYCLES
Provide administrative assistance for lifecycle events (e.g., Bar & Bat Mitzvah, Funerals, Weddings, Bris, etc.) and follow-up, as necessary. Participate fully in staff-wide efforts relating to all holidays. Attendance at key events and some daily/Shabbos/holiday services is expected.
Additional Key responsibilities including, but not limited to:
• Maintain Boca Jewish Center website content ensuring information is accurate, current, and user friendly.
• Manage the master calendar, updating all activities, including committee meetings, events, holidays, etc.
• Assist implementation and monitoring of all social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
• Interact with a wide variety of constituents in a flexible and compassionate way, including synagogue members, board of directors, potential members, etc.
• Arrange for service calls for building or machine maintenance concerns or repairs.
• Coordinate the schedules of the security guards & custodians.
• Create relationships with all our vendors.
Position Requirements and Skills
• Excellent writing skills, with the ability to transform factual data into engaging messaging.
• Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and work with tight deadlines.
• Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Constant Contact, InDesign, Publisher software, QuickBooks, Zoom, etc.
• Experience creating graphics and design layout (through Constant Contact or other programs) preferred.
• Self-motivated and comfortable working independently
• Strong interpersonal skills, high level of personal and professional integrity
• Natural curiosity in learning new software programs, processes, and systems, embracing a "can do" attitude.
• Familiarity with synagogue database application Shulcloud is a plus.
• Familiarity with the Jewish lifecycle and an appreciation for the importance of a synagogue in a Jewish Community is a plus
• Tenacious attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
• Ability to analyze and resolve problems/situations demonstrating sound judgment and common sense, with the humility of knowing when to ask questions.
• Professional, diplomatic, and discreet with confidential matters.