Director of Jewish Life
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,300 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna’s unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University’s 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Director of Jewish Life reports to the Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer. The Director of Jewish Life is a knowledgeable advisor, advocate, and resource for the purposeful building of an inclusive community. The Director promotes a vibrant Jewish religious and cultural life on campus, guides students as they explore their diverse Jewish identities, provides students with the tools and resources to create exciting and innovative programming and service opportunities, promotes interfaith and cross-cultural understanding, and cooperates with the Office of Admissions in recruiting Jewish students and relates to alumni, donors, and external constituencies as appropriate.
• Provide stewardship of daily operations and organization of the Goldstein-Weis Hillel House operations including graduate student, and undergraduate student staffing and management of student portfolio projects.
• Maintains the operating and restricted budget accounts for the Goldstein-Weis Hillel House
• Coordinate programming (guest speakers, lectures, community leaders) and community dialogues (open forums, town hall meetings) intended to foster a climate of respect and civility and enhance community relationships, collaborating with the academic/student life partners.
• Support student leaders in cultivating peer relationships and in developing exciting and innovative social, cultural, education, public service, and religious/spiritual programs that energize Jewish life on campus. The director also will maintain a student staff - including peer outreach through the Student Engagement staff - which will work to facilitate a successful and vibrant Jewish Life experience.
• Work directly with Hillel, the Jewish student club, to facilitate and support Jewish Life activities, including serving as the club advisor and mentor; seek opportunities to grow and develop the skills of the Hillel board, including through the Hagshama Leadership Fellowship, which provides leadership development training for the President and Vice-President of the Hillel board.
• Support Center for Diversity & Inclusion operations to include programing and support for students from historically marginalized populations.
• Assesses programs and services, tracking student engagement and develops initiatives for the systematic and continuous improvement of departmental practices in the areas of data tracking.
• Maintains an up-to-date understanding of national best practices and literature on college student engagement, student inclusivity and belonging, and community well-being and retention.
• Actively work with Hillel International to achieve best practices and implement programs that strengthen Jewish Life at Susquehanna.
• Collaborate with the Office of Admissions as appropriate in recruiting Jewish students.
• Collaborate with the Office of Advancement as appropriate to maximize the resources available to support and expand Jewish Life on campus.
• Cultivate strong relationships with the local synagogue and its rabbi, facilitating student participation in the life of the synagogue when desired and cooperating with the rabbi when appropriate for Shabbat services on campus and the celebration of the High Holidays, facilitating student participation in synagogue celebrations.
• Provide leadership in the marketing, public relations, and promotional activities attendant to Jewish Life on campus.
• Serve as a bias incident investigator when needed
Bachelor’s degree required.
Three years of experience as a Jewish communal professional required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Deep knowledge of Jewish tradition and the diversity of Jewish practice are essential.
Knowledge and ability to use Personal computer, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook. Important skills include interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with Jewish and non-Jewish students, co-workers and other stakeholders; use of social media as an effective tool for communication and community building; ability to set priorities, advocate team concepts and work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff.
Normal office environment. Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to move about the campus. Position requires the ability to talk and to hear instruction. Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach. Position requires occasional stooping, crouching and bending. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor. This position requires occasional night and weekend responsibilities. Position may require travel.
Master’s degree in Jewish Education or other relevant field preferred.
Experience in higher education preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant:
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 12 months
Other Number of Months:
Work Schedule/Hours per Week:
Posting Date: 05/26/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Anticipated Start Date:
Posting Number: AH00738
To apply, visit http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx