Position/title: LIFECYCLE COORDINATOR
Location: Stephen Wise Temple – Los Angeles, CA
Industry Category: Religious Organization/Education/Nonprofit
Reports to: Director of Special Events
Job Duties: Lifecycle Support
Department: Temple Staff
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Benefits-Eligible
Work Schedule: 36.5 hours per week
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Monday – Thursday
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM Friday
(30-minute lunch; potential to modify hours to provide 60-minute lunch)
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is responsible for supporting the lifecycle events and programs of the Temple. For optimal performance, the incumbent must recognize the significance of lifecycle events to the organization and congregants, facilitating flawless execution and helping identify process improvements to create effective and efficient practices for continuous program success.
As Lifecycle Coordinator you will be the primary point of contact and support for member families as they navigate through the various lifecycle events (b’nai mitzvah, weddings, brit milahs/baby namings, funerals, memorials, and conversions) facilitated by our clergy. You will work with staff, congregants, and the wider community in friendly and supportive interactions to meet their needs, provide complete and accurate information, address requests, and assist in problem-solving. Think of yourself as the congregation’s concierge, providing the highest level of customer service to both temple members and colleagues in marking the meaningful moments in their lives.
• Works closely with the Director of Special Events, Senior Cantor, Director of B’nai Mitzvah Studies, Director of Programming, and the clergy team in facilitating the lifecycle events of Temple members.
• B’nai Mitzvah (BM) coordination includes:
o Assist with executing the BM program from start to finish to ensure ease for members.
o Schedule BM services for 50+ families per year.
o Coordinate and disseminate all family and internal communications regarding BMs.
o Organize all necessary BM logistics, including learning tools, certificates, and day-of service needs.
o Work with other departments (membership, accounting, Wise School, and Wise Events) to ensure families are in good financial standing well before the event date.
o Organize and maintain a tracking system of appointments, schedules, and rehearsals for each student/family with clergy.
o In partnership with Director of BM Studies, coordinate mentor assignments and timelines.
o Provide excellent customer service as a doorway to maintaining members in the congregation after their BMs.
• Lifecycle coordination includes:
o Schedule and organize details for weddings, funerals, memorials, brit milahs/baby namings, conversions, etc.
o Calendar meetings between congregant and clergy.
o Collect information and complete forms and certificates for marriage licenses, bereavement notices, baby naming certificates, etc.
o Update member database with lifecycle event information.
o Provide excellent customer service as a means of recruiting and maintaining new members to the congregation after their lifecycle event.
• Program support includes:
o Weekly Shabbat and regular festival service support (pulpit rotation, bima card, food orders, etc.).
o Logistics for clergy programs, meetings, courses, conferences, and events, which may include travel arrangements, online registrations, email communications, room set-up, ordering food and supplies, as well as securing books, music, and other materials as needed.
o Coordinating with other departments where necessary to make each program and event successful.
• General administrative duties, correspondence, and other office tasks as needed.
• Participate in the rotation of staff onsite during events and programs.
• As a key staff member in our religious educational institution, role-model the tenets of our faith on a daily basis to our members and the broader Temple community; participate in transmitting the expectations and values of our faith, playing a critical and essential role in the Temple’s ability to minister to the daily needs of our students and members.
• Other duties as assigned.
• BA/BS degree preferred.
• At least two years’ administrative experience assisting multiple individuals preferred.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), Google suite and significant experience with CRM (e.g., ShulCloud) and WOS (e.g., Monday.com) systems.
• Excellent attention to detail/accuracy with strong organizational skills.
• Friendly customer service attitude including professional written and verbal communication.
• Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple personal priorities and deadlines.
• Diplomatic, tactful, and possessing the ability to maintain grace under pressure while maintaining a high level of discretion with confidential information.
• Available on scheduled nights and weekends.
• Knowledge of Judaism beneficial but not required.