Controller/Director of Finance
The Jewish Community Federation of Richmond (JCFR) has been building, sustaining and connecting Jewish Communities in Richmond, Israel and worldwide for 86 years. Annually raising and distributing over $3.3 million, the Federation protects and enhances the well-being of the Jewish and general community through the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world), tzedakah (charity and social justice) and Torah (learning).
The Jewish Community Federation of Richmond (JCFR) is seeking a Controller/Director of Finance.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. A key member of the organizations management team, the Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the entire Federation professional team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations including the development and monitoring of the budget, reporting and tax functions for a $3.3 million fundraising operation and functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. The Controller will ensure that Federation has the systems and financial procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with the Finance and Administrative Committee, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program and impact goals and operations.
In addition, they will partner with the CEO, senior leadership, and the human resources (HR) and information technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
About the Position
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader with 5 or more years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. They will ideally have experience working in a nonprofit environment that has multiple programs and impact areas.
Specific requirements include:
• Leverage strengths of the current finance volunteer teams, and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
• Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Jewish Federation’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CEO, the responsibility for finance.
• Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred
• Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
• Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
• Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus. simple reporting
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
• Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance volunteers, professionals and community members.
• Work collaboratively with, CEO, Chief Impact Officer and Marketing and Communications Manager, and Director of Philanthropy to ensure that our donors and partners receive financial communication in appropriate, timely and meaningful ways.
The ideal candidate will bring passion for community, marked by a solid track record of outstanding financial communication and support. S/he/they will be an outgoing, dynamic presence with strong relationship building and communication skills.