The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh seeks a highly motivated, dynamic development professional to serve as the annual Community Campaign Director. The Campaign Director is responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of modern strategies for Federation’s $14 million Community Campaign. This position begins at the start of an exciting new era for Federation with a transformative strategic plan and an eagerness to embrace new approaches that will strengthen fundraising and Federation’s impact.
The Campaign Director should be an innovator, managing while also rethinking all aspects of the campaign including communications, approaches to solicitation, fundraiser training, events and programs, leadership development, women’s philanthropy, young adult philanthropy, affinity groups, and day-to-day operations. To be successful this professional must work effectively with many stakeholders including Federation’s volunteer and professional leaders. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Development.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh is the central fundraising and community planning organization for the Pittsburgh Jewish community. We provide funding to local and overseas partner agencies, as well as independent programs that provide health, security, and human welfare services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develop and implement all facets of the annual Community Campaign, providing overall direction for increasing donor engagement and giving, implementing effective campaign fundraising strategies.
• Annually develop campaign theme and marketing approach, ensuring they reflect the goals and objectives of the campaign.
o Consult with marketing staff on development of all campaign-related publications and materials, and P.R./advertising approaches with the media.
o Review all campaign related production jobs to ensure consistent branding and messaging.
o Plan an integrated approach to adding campaign donors and growing gifts at the lower levels, including social media, e-communications, gamification, and traditional approaches (e.g., direct mail, telemarketing, phone-a-thons).
• Oversee campaign operations through management of systems, data analysis and reporting.
o Manage solicitation processes including volunteer recruitment, team leader support and team member follow up; prospect selection; creation and maintenance of solicitation lists and training tools; and bring any donor issues to resolution.
o Serve as liaison with the IT, Finance and Donor Services departments to facilitate effective technical support of campaign operations.
• Develop, cultivate, and solicit a portfolio of prospective donors.
• Review and evaluate current campaign, fundraising systems, and processes and where necessary introduce improvements that increase Federation’s fundraising ROI.
• Build successful relationships with volunteer campaign leadership to ensure they succeed as leaders and fundraising role models.
• Identify, recruit, organize, and train volunteer workers in furthering Campaign goals.
o Ensure there is a flow of qualified leaders prepared to lead various aspects of the campaign.
o Coordinate and/or oversee programs to identify, prepare and motivate future leaders.
• Oversee planning of major Campaign focused events including leadership enlistment and management, marketing, and attendee recruitment; logistics; and follow-up to ensure donor involvement in Federation.
• Evaluate event and program effectiveness.
• Manage campaign budgets in collaboration with Senior Director of Development.
• Supervise the Development Associate, Young Adult Philanthropy; Development Associate, Affinities; Development Associate, EITC and Corporate Giving
• Member of Management Team.
• All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Excellent research, writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Effective organizational skills with strict attention to detail.
• Proven track record in fundraising with donors $10,000+.
• An understanding of and ability to articulate the accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
• The emotional intelligence, maturity, and sound judgement necessary for interacting with donors, volunteers, board members and staff.
• Exceptional leadership, coaching and supervisory skills.
• Outstanding analytical skills and ability to measure the effectiveness of fundraising strategies and programs.
• Proficient in budget development and budget management skills.
• Knowledge and continued learning of best fundraising practices.
• Ability to work well with diverse populations.
• Strong knowledge of Jewish community, culture, and practices. Passion for the mission of Federation and the Jewish community including Israel and world Jewry.
• Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Education, Training and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (e.g., Social Work, Jewish communal service, Public Administration, business, non-profit management) or related field or equivalent professional experience required. Advance degree preferred
• Five-plus years of non-profit experience, in a professional, internship, or volunteer capacity, in a fundraising/development role.
• Experience working with volunteers and experience in the not-for-profit sector, strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of donor databases preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk or computer.
• Must be able to lift 10-15 pounds at times.
This position has a competitive salary of $75,000-$110,000 to be commensurate with experience.
The Federation offers a competitive benefits package when compared to other non-profits in the region.