DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
SHALVA seeks a skilled and collaborative professional for the position of Director of Operations. The successful candidate will oversee agency operations and provide critical support to the Executive Director on board and staff initiatives. The Director of Operations will have the exciting opportunity to coordinate all aspects of a planned office move in November 2021.
This is a full time position reporting to the Executive Director.
Founded on the principle that every woman has the right to be safe in her personal relationship with her partner, SHALVA’s mission is to support Jewish women experiencing and healing from domestic abuse through counseling, supportive services, and community education. SHALVA offers confidential domestic abuse counseling services to the metropolitan Chicago Jewish community in a culturally sensitive and caring environment. SHALVA is a non-profit agency, with 5 full time and 9 part-time employees.
General Office Administration
• Oversee administrative needs of the office ensuring efficient daily operations.
• Develop and streamline protocols, procedures, and policies.
• Identify staff training needs and provide in- house or outsourced training.
• Ensure work schedules optimally meet program needs.
• Onboard new staff.
• Manage relationships with office vendors including, but not limited to, internet, phone and copier service providers.
• Review contracts and letters of agreement.
• Administer agency insurance and employee benefit plans.
• Support Board activities and oversee reporting requirements.
• Become familiar with all systems, including phones.
• Serve as point person for staff to address technology challenges.
• Manage relationships with IT consultants and vendors.
• Oversee donor and program databases.
• Periodically evaluate technology needs and manage procurement, implementation, and training.
• Oversee contract accounting firm to ensure fiscal compliance, as well as timely and accurate financial reporting.
• Coordinate preparation and administration of $1.4 million annual budget.
• Approve accounts payable and manage accounts receivable.
• Manage bank relationships and monitor accounts; identify cash flow needs; monitor restricted endowment and reserve funds.
• Plan, coordinate and supervise November 2021 office move.
• Periodically update employee handbook and job descriptions.
• Special projects as assigned.
• Assist Development Director with preparation and submission of grant applications and reports to ensure accuracy and adherence to
• Oversee preparation of budgets for applications and preparation of budget and operational reports for grant projects.
• Monitor grant activities to ensure compliance.
• Help with other aspects of applications and reports as needed.
Qualifications & Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree (advance degree preferred) in an applicable field of study
• Technologically savvy, flexible self-starter; able to multitask while being highly detail-oriented and organized.
• Excellent people skills, with experience supporting a team with diverse skillsets.
• Demonstrated project management experience.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and proposing new ways of creating efficiencies.
• Minimum of 4-5 years of professional experience overseeing operations.