Reports to: Chief of Staff
Status: Full-time Non-Exempt Position
Location: Northern New Jersey
Jewish Federation of Northern New Jersey is a non-profit philanthropic organization dedicated to creating a vibrant Jewish community in northern New Jersey. Federation cares for those in need, deepens engagement in Jewish life, and strengthens the bonds among Jews in northern New Jersey area, in Israel, and around the world. Its primary functions are community planning and allocations, financial resource development, and leadership development.
Director of External Relations is a new position, created specifically to combat anti-Semitism and build coalitions with other communities. This focus of this position will be on standing up against anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism, providing education and resources to the community, and building relationships with other community groups so we can find common ground and respect with other racial, ethnic, religious, and LGBTQ groups in our community. The Director of External Relations will be tasked with combatting the hate and misinformation directed at the Jewish community and supporters of Israel, and creating new partnerships that will stand together in the face of hate and bias. The ideal candidate will bring experience and skills in community organizing, fighting anti-Semitism, and connecting with other communities.
• Serve as the Jewish Community liaison when there are incidents of anti-Semitism, bias, and/or hate.
• Undertake a community mapping project to identify and map the leaders, institutions, and major players in the key racial, ethnic, faith-based, and LGBTQ communities in northern New Jersey.
• Create a plan to develop and strengthen meaningful relationships with these identified leaders, institutions, and major players.
• Lead efforts to connect Jewish Federation’s lay leadership with the leadership in the other communities who have been identified by the community mapping project.
• Represent Jewish Federation in dialogues and engagement with major racial, ethnic, faith-based, and LGBTQ communities throughout the region.
• Identify policy issues and advocacy opportunities that impact multiple communities in our region and offer an opportunity to work together on common causes.
• Create and implement programmatic and educational events and activities with a focus on deepening an understanding within the Jewish community of the sensitivities and issues impacting our neighboring communities.
• Work with the Director of Jewish Community Security on outreach to law enforcement community in incidents of hate and bias against the Jewish community.
• Provide analysis and guidance on issues related to anti-Semitism, as well as recommend interventions to CEO and President.
• Develop white papers, op-eds, and other written material focused on standing up against anti-Semitism.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree.
• Excellent understanding of issues relating to anti-Semitism; familiarity with national and regional organizations and initiatives that combat anti-Semitism.
• 7-10 years’ experience in combatting anti-Semitism, convening groups, working with diverse populations, community organizing, and/or consensus-building.
• Excellent verbal communication skills, including an ability to effectively relate to and communicate with stakeholders of different religious, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
• Demonstrated writing skills, with the ability to professionally and effectively convey a clear point of view.
• Strong political judgement, problem-solving, thoughtful decision-making.
• Self-starter, willing to take initiative, be assertive, and prioritize.
• Experience in the development and implementation of educational programs for combating anti-Semitism preferred.
• Knowledge of northern New Jersey’s ethnic, cultural, and faith-based communities preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values.
• Strong personal commitment to Federation’s mission.
• Availability to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Experience and comfort in Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.