Sixth & I seeks a Senior Director of Development to lead its growing Development team. This role is a key member of Sixth & I’s senior leadership team, working closely with the CEO and Board of Directors to envision and execute Sixth & I’s fundraising strategy across multiple channels. Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director of Development will build and supervise a team of 3-4 fundraising professionals who raise over $3M annually in support of Sixth & I’s strategic priorities.
If you have experience in nonprofit development and a commitment to arts and culture, spiritual or social justice programming, we encourage you to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
• Direct development efforts in collaboration with the CEO to expand Sixth & I’s portfolio of foundations, major donors, and individual funders.
• Develop and lead the implementation of a multi-year fundraising plan that maps out the Development department’s fundraising goals, priorities, and tactics. Create detailed work plans with each team member to ensure stated goals are accomplished.
• Create a vision and plan for growing Sixth & I’s major gift program through thoughtful identification, qualification, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of prospects and donors.
• Oversee the development and implementation of the Development department’s annual budget. Work with the Director of Accounting and Administration to develop program budgets, assist with the annual audit, and develop accurate financial forecasts for the organization.
• Work with senior staff and program managers to identify priority areas and strategic opportunities for funding. Meet with program teams on a regular basis to identify donor engagement opportunities and to stay informed of rapidly evolving program priorities and accomplishments.
• Hire, train, and mentor a growing staff of development professionals who assist with grant writing, individual giving, and development operations. Identify and engage external consultants as needed to build team capacity and meet established fundraising goals.
• Maintain a personal portfolio of 80 – 100 major and midlevel donors. Develop tailored moves management plans for donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, with the intention to significantly increase donor giving over time.
• Track and analyze fundraising activity on a regular basis, providing updates to the Sixth & I staff, Development Committee, and Board of Directors. Prepare materials, presentations, and reports for board meetings, funders, and donors upon request.
• Actively engage Sixth & I’s Board of Directors in support of annual fundraising goals and activities, staff the Board Development Committee, leverage board relationships to identify and cultivate new institutional and individual donors.
• Provide oversight for Sixth & I’s grant portfolio, identifying new sources of institutional revenue and ensuring that relationships with current foundation funders are appropriately maintained.
• Provide the leadership, vision, and oversight for 3-4 annual fundraising campaigns with print and digital components; secure match challenge gifts, ideate copy and graphic concepts in collaboration with Sixth & I’s Communications team.
• Assist with planning events that have a significant fundraising component, including the organization’s upcoming 18th Anniversary. Identify and pursue sponsorship, underwriting, and donor engagement opportunities.
WHO YOU ARE
• Experienced. You are a confident fundraiser, have a passion for development and at least 5-8 years of experience with major gifts, grants management, or related work within the field of nonprofit fundraising, with at least three years of supervisory experience.
o Experience with major gifts required; capital campaign or corporate philanthropy is a plus.
o Knowledge of the local and national Jewish philanthropic and/or arts and culture landscape is a plus
• Highly collaborative. You have a strong aptitude for project management and cross-team leadership. You understand the importance of building relationships with program staff, board members, and external stakeholders, and you enjoy working collaboratively to develop compelling cases for support.
• Creative and flexible. You are comfortable creating systems and strategies to help you and your team meet established goals. You are able to translate abstract concepts into compelling visions that inspire action and feel comfortable taking the lead on projects while still working out details along the way.
• Fluent with finances. You are adept at reading and using numbers, financials, and statistics in your work. You have experience creating and managing budgets, reviewing financial reports, and incorporating financial information into cases for support.
• Tech savvy. You have strong computer proficiency; including experience with prospect research tools and fundraising databases. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge and RENXT is a plus.
• Organized and efficient. You know how to manage multiple projects and meet established deadlines. You are comfortable developing processes and systems to help guide your work.
• Resilient and highly motivated. You’re a self-starter who knows how to turn ideas into reality. You see challenges as opportunities for creative thinking and you are comfortable pivoting when needed. You have a commitment to continuous learning and seek out opportunities for professional development for both yourself and your staff as a part of your job.
What Is Sixth & I?
Sixth & I is a center for arts, entertainment, and ideas and a synagogue that reimagines how religion and community can enhance people’s everyday lives. Housed within a revitalized historic space dating back to 1908 in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, our unexpected mix of cultural and spiritual programs embraces the multi-faceted identities of those we serve and offers wide-ranging, eye-opening, and accessible experiences to inspire more meaningful and fulfilling lives.
Sixth & I is an equal employment opportunity employer.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, please send a cover******************enior Director of Development” in the subject line. No phone calls or emails please. Candidates will be contacted if there is an opportunity to be interviewed.