Established in 1917, YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood (the “Y”) is a not-for-profit Jewish Community Center that welcomes people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We offer a wide range of educational, recreational, and social services programs to enhance the quality of life of those we serve.
The Managing Director for Youth and Recreation is a new position that reflects the growth and expansion of the Y’s programs. It is our commitment to excellent programming and supervision, community and relationship building, and to utilizing Jewish universal values that tie our programs together, that led us to establish this new role as part of the Leadership of the Y’s Programming Team. The successful candidate will be tasked with the supervision of existing programs, the creation of new ones, and the implementation of systems that increase alignment and collaborative efforts between them. This position will also prioritize building community by creating strong relationships with our members and utilizing a well-thought-out family communication and engagement strategy. The Managing Director for Youth and Recreation will expand the Y’s offerings within and beyond our physical spaces, and put in place systems to track and analyze participant attendance across programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for the fiscal management their area, and work closely with the Marketing and Development teams.
The programs that the Managing Director of Youth and Recreation will supervise include:
- Be Me After School Program, serving Kindergarten to 5th Grade students from the community. This is a fee for service recreational and educational program that fosters community-building through universal Jewish values and culture and is one of the Y’s largest programs.
- Sports, Wellness, and Enrichment related to all of our youth programs. This existing programs in this area include our Hudson Cliff Baseball League (the Y’s a co-ed spring league for children of all ability levels aged three to twelve), sports and wellness activities in our current programs (after school, nursery, and camp), birthday parties, and enrichment activities for our pre-school and elementary-school children. The expectation is for this area to be developed in order to create new community leagues, increased intentionality in mental and physical wellbeing across programs, connectivity to the Y’s universal Jewish values, and utilizing outdoor spaces in our neighborhood.
- Inclusion and Special Needs Programs, providing support and enrichment activities to participants with additional needs in the Be Me Afterschool Program, Hudson Cliffs Baseball League, and Camp Twelve Trails, along with programming for children with developmental disabilities on Sundays (Sunday Funday program).
- Fitness, which includes the Y’s fitness center, exercise classes, full court gymnasium, and activities to support adult and teen members’ health and fitness goals
- In coordination with the Director of the Y’s Norman E. Alexander Center for Jewish Life, the Managing Director for Youth and Recreation will oversee our year-round Teen Programs which are in the initial stages of formation.
- The Managing Director for Youth and Recreation will work collaboratively with the Y’s Camp Director on joint programs, shared community engagement efforts, programmatic alignment, and coordinated messaging.
- Literacy Program, a small program (twice a week) designed to improve the educational and economic opportunities of five to ten-year-old children and their families.
- Serve as an integral part of the Y’s Programming Leadership Team, supporting the CPO in general Y programmatic matters, including but not limited to meetings, retreats, and other activities.
- Develop a strategic vision to ensure programs are educationally relevant, innovative, integrated, and evolving from year to year.
- Oversee alignment of program goals with Y values and communication of key messages.
- Implement tracking systems that measure engagement and connection to the Y’s programs, cross-programmatic participation, and identifies gaps in order to analyze and make informed decisions along with the Programming Leadership Team and the Youth and Recreation team.
- Run regular Youth and Recreation Team meetings and check-ins with direct reports and Camp Leadership; provide ongoing support to staff.
- Represent the Y in external forums; participate in and promote Y programs as needed.
- Work with the Development team to actively pursue new partnerships and additional resources.
- Work with the Marketing staff to develop the branding of programs.
- Model commitment to the values and goals of the Y and champion and articulate the Y’s culture.
Program Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, and Continuous Development:
- Lead and enable Program Directors to deliver impactful programming by working with the team in identifying long-term and short-term program goals and outputs, executing well-planned activities, and implementing ongoing improvements of educational programs.
- Ensure appropriate supervision, evaluation, and plans for enhancement are in place and followed up with each program.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with new and existing organizations
Compliance and Administration:
- Ensure compliance of all programs with government standards and the Y’s HR and programmatic requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all funders, including government and private foundations.
- Facilitate the efficient functioning of the Youth and Recreation team and effective coordination between this team and other Y departments.
- Work with HR and Finance staff to ensure timely and accurate completion of all reporting and paperwork requirements, including payroll materials, departmental goals and work plans, budget preparation, tracking, and monitoring reports, employment paperwork, and other administrative /compliance requirements.
- Responsible for the professional development of direct reports providing coaching, mentoring, and performance feedback to set Program Directors for success.
- Work with Human Resources to attract, recruit, develop, and retain high quality staff.
- Directly supervises at least three full-time Program Directors (Director of Elementary Programs, Fitness Director, and Inclusion Coordinator) along with multiple part time staff. Additional full and/or part time staff related to youth physical education and youth enrichment programs may be hired and supervised by this position.
- Manage the Youth and Recreation team.
POSITION TYPE / EXPECTED CORE HOURS OF WORK
- Full- time position
- Estimated hours: Monday – Thursday: 10:00 am – 6:30 pm; alternating Fridays and Sundays 9:00 am – 5:30 pm, with room for flexibility.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree strongly preferred (Bachelor’s required) in one of the following fields: Child Development, Elementary Education, Physical Education, Jewish Education, Recreation, or a related field.
- At least ten (10) years of work with youth, including five (5) years as a supervisor demonstrating success in enrichment or educational environments working with a broad spectrum of staff, volunteers, and program participants.
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum and program development.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, helpful.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, and Health & Safety certification, helpful.
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and competitive benefits package: Health Insurance; Retirement Plan; Optional 403b Plan; Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Account; Commuter Benefit Plan
WORK AUTHORIZATION & CLEARANCE
- Documentation of U.S. citizenship or eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Must pass the background checks by the Y, Department of Health (DOH), and Department of Education (DOE).
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other functions and responsibilities may change or may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
YM & YWHA of Washington Heights & Inwood provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.