About the Organization:
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.
This is a dual role as part of the Community Resources team and the Operations and Grant Management team.
The Community Resources team provides support to synagogues, day schools and yeshivas, New York Jewish professionals, develops volunteer opportunities, and responds to crises. We offer a variety of programs for each sector and run several professional fellowships. Community Resources has an overall vision for each segment of our work as well as identifies current trends to provide opportunities for learning and action as these challenges arise.
The Operations and Grants Management team is responsible for the financial and management processes and systems that support strategic planning and grant making at UJA-Federation of New York. This team works to ensure operational efficiencies as well as the effectiveness of all grant making systems across the division, and liaises with the Accounting, Impact Performance and Assessment, Information Technology Services, and Legal departments, as needed, to do so.
The Planning Assistant is responsible for the overall administrative needs of both the Community Resources (CR) team and the Operations team. This will include supporting the Executive Director of CR and Director of Operations as well as providing administrative support to the individual members of each team. The Planning Assistant must be proactive, task- and detail-oriented, able to self-manage significant responsibility, and multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
This role will jointly report to the Executive Director of Community Resources and to the Director of Operations.
- Provide administrative support for both teams, including scheduling meetings, invoice management, maintaining tracking templates, filing expense reports, copying, mailings and other tasks as needed.
- Provide administrative support for committees, cabinet and group meetings including coordinating schedules with invitees, communication and arrangement with internal resources, A/V requests, Zoom management, food orders, creating agendas, meeting reminders, tent cards, attendance, minutes, set up and clean up.
- Manage the daily calendar of the Executive Director and Director.
- Support individual team member projects.
- Assist with administrative details related to large departmental programs/convenings.
- Manage information systems including membership lists, grantee information, files, and fundraising system information.
- Coordination of inter- and intra-departmental communications, as it relates to assignments.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for improved efficiency.
- Execute or assist with special projects, as needed.
- Full working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Understanding of, or ability to learn, new technology and database systems including our: grants system, fundraising database, purchasing system, and others
- Superior attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to shift priorities when needed in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational, administrative, written, and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized, efficient, and able to create and maintain systems that facilitate departmental management
- Flexibility, positive attitude, and sense of humor
- Openness to constructive feedback and commitment to self-improvement
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Bachelor's degree preferred