Make your mark in a mission driven non-profit as a senior member of our dedicated staff team at UMass Hillel. As Director of Finance and Administration, you will play an important role in ensuring the smooth functioning of UMass Hillel and implementation of its strategic goals. In this new position, you will report to the Executive Director and supervise our Office Manager and Facilities Management. The Director of F&A will have oversight of Finances, HR, Grants and Allocations and Facilities. The Director of F&A will also work with the Director of Advancement to fulfill certain development related functions and projects. As you develop and implement strategies and best practices to improve the organization you will play an important role in enabling UMass Hillel to fulfill its mission and help students thrive.
What You Will Do
- Supervise Office Manager, including weekly supervision meetings, and annual goal setting and reviews. The Office Manager will support The Director of F&A, implementing a wide range of administrative functions. The Director of F&A will help reshape the Office Manager role in line with organizational needs and train the Office Manager in new aspects of the job.
- Supervise Director of Operations/Facilities Management
- Responsible for supervision, or delegation of supervision, of select student workers
- Support ED in creation of annual budget, including coordinating the creation of departmental budgets
- Oversee bi-annual budget projections, coordinating with bookkeeper, ED and Finance Chair
- Create and maintain annual financial calendar with input from ED and Finance Chair
- Manage P&L oversight, tracking expenses and revenue and working with bookkeeper and staff to ensure correct categorization
- Approve reimbursements, work with bookkeeper to oversee bills, invoices and payments
- Manage financial accounts, including adding and removing individuals and facilitating financial transfers as needed
- Serve as liaison with CPA for annual financial review, 990, and Maccabees Task Force grant audit, providing and gathering needed information directly and from ED and bookkeeper
- Oversee existing Hillel House insurance plans, meeting and communicating with Insurance broker to ensure up to date and sufficient insurance coverage
Grants & Allocations Management
- Create and maintain annual grants and allocations calendar shared among relevant staff
- Manage grants planning, applications and reporting, coordinating content creation and deadlines among ED, Director of Advancement and AD.
- Maintain and review grant contracts
- Systematize stewardship of partner organizations in collaboration with Director of Advancement
- Oversee grant reporting for the Maccabees Task Force grant, ensuring staff submit event reports as required
- The Director of F&A will be responsible for supervising those who directly manage facilities and our Hillel dorms, as well as exploring and implementing options for new models of management.
- Ensure smooth systems for building usage and oversee relationships with vendors, with administrative support of the Office Manager.
- Oversee dorm rentals and management
- The Director of O&F will be responsible for working with the ED to transition UMass Hillel to a new model of Shabbat food service
- Oversee rental of staff apartment
- Oversee all HR administrative functions, including communication of HR and benefits information to staff and answering HR questions
- Organize and oversee logistical elements of hiring and onboarding processes
- Make updates to Paycom as needed in coordination with bookkeeper, ED and Hillel International
- Liaison with Paycom for troubleshooting as needed
- Create and oversee calendar for annual staff goal setting and reviews
Organizational Systems and Internal Communication
- The Director of F&A will be tasked with creating and improving a range of systems to improve various processes of sharing, gathering and storing information. Director of F&A will work with the ED to choose which improvements to prioritize in a given time period and will oversee implementation. Projects may include:
- Introducing usage of Dashlane or a similar password manager across the organization, enabling account security and ease of access sharing
- Maintaining an “organizational dashboard” to track and share progress on organizational and project goals.
- Partner with Director of Advancement to ensure systematic coordination of student and donor databases
- Work with Director of Advancement and Development Manager to systematize regular collection of student impact content.
- Systematize program evaluation
- Improve systems for storage and sharing of organizational documents
- Support Director of Advancement with DPO database systems and reports as needed
- Manage discrete special development and/or board related projects in coordination with the Director of Advancement and ED
- Develop security protocols and emergency response planning and implement trainings.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with University and community partners.
- Create quarterly board reports prior to update board on key areas under the purview of the Director of F&A
- Participate in Hillel board meetings at request
- Oversee car lease
What You Bring
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience in not-for-profit or academic administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. - Experience with management of budgets and finances, supervision, organizational administration and operations and familiarity with HR best practices. Facilities related experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or other relevant graduate degree preferred
- A positive can-do attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to work well independently and with a team.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills. Strong writing and communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work with stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Fluency with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Dropbox, Google Docs and other similar systems; familiarity with Quickbooks
- Desire to be part of a mission-driven organization and to help students thrive
What You’ll Get Out of It
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, pension plan, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, skill-building opportunities
- Flexible work hours
- Fun dynamic work environment in a University setting with interaction with students, a great staff team, stakeholders
- The support of a wonderful national Hillel network
About UMass Hillel
UMass Hillel, located in the beautiful college town of Amherst, Massachusetts in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts is non-profit organization that serves as the vibrant center of Jewish life for the UMass Amherst campus. With 11 Jewish student groups, a dedicated staff team, and a diverse range of programs and learning opportunities that engage nearly 1,200 students annually, UMass Hillel is a lively and dynamic place to work. Our mission is to empower students through the vitality of Jewish life to cultivate healthy, purposeful lives and relationships that better our community and world. UMass Hillel is proudly affiliated with Hillel International as part of an international network of Hillel’s.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UMass Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.