Congregation Shaarey Zedek (CSZ) is a thriving Conservative synagogue located in Southfield, Michigan north of Detroit. In order to grow the impact and excellence of our activities forming sacred community, we seek an experienced, responsible, and inspiring Controller to help lead financial operations consistent with generally accepted accounting principles, best practices, and our community’s core values. The Controller is a member of the senior staff with primary responsibility for the synagogue’s day-to-day financial planning, management, and analysis. The Controller develops and oversees financial policies and procedures, monthly, quarterly, and year-end close and reporting and annual budget and audit. The Controller manages payroll, benefits administration, and compliance. CSZ’s annual budget is approximately $3 million.
The Controller reports directly to the Executive Director.
1. Develop a deep understanding of all aspects of CSZ finances. Apply that knowledge to create and implement financial policies and guidelines that ensure CSZ’s assets are protected, utilized effectively, and internal controls are appropriate.
2. Get to know the financial relationships of donors to, and members of, CSZ and build processes that provide excellent support and management of their accounts. Make progress toward greater efficiency, accuracy, and utility of all financial communications with members.
3. Supervise other finance staff and manage relationships with finance-related volunteers and outside auditors.
4. Oversee the daily financial operations of CSZ, including accounts payable and receivable, journal entries, payroll administration, reporting, reconciliation, third-party contracts, and all regulatory filings in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and IRS regulations for not-for-profit organizations.
5. Create and present on-time, complete, and accurate monthly financial reports for management and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors. Perform ad hoc analyses and create special reports as requested.
6. In consultation with the Finance Committee, support CSZ’s annual budgeting process and monthly financial tracking; produce a budget and financial results presentation materials for the Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and Annual Meeting.
7. Manage and track cash flow to maintain a positive cash position, monitor various accounts, and project cash needs; adhere to Finance Committee operating policies.
8. Manage the annual audit, including preparation of schedules, compliance, and response to the management letter; Support the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
9. Serve as the leader on benefits and benefits administration, working with outside vendor to allow for new staff benefits enrollment and annual all-staff open enrollment, fielding questions from staff.
10. Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations regarding employment issues such as pay, time-keeping, equal opportunity, privacy, and health and safety
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
1. Five or more years of proven financial management experience, not-for-profit is preferred.
2. Proven track record of compliance with financial principles and procedures.
3. Direct experience leading budgeting and financial reporting.
4. Dedicated team player with a commitment to the highest level of client (external and internal) service and collaboration.
5. Proficient computer skills including QuickBooks and Microsoft Office suite.
6. Ability to problem-solve, demonstrate sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
7. Ability to interact professionally and effectively with co-workers, board members, volunteers, members of the congregation, and organization donors and guests.
8. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
9. Ability to complete assignments and responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner, often with strict deadlines.
10. Bachelor’s degree required; accounting or finance degree or other relevant education/credentials preferred.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.