Camp Solomon Schechter (CSS) is seeking an experienced, dedicated, and outgoing professional for the Development Director position. The Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of camp’s fundraising efforts; including, major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, alumni relations, special events, and capital campaigns. This position reports to the Executive Director; works closely with the Board, senior staff, and volunteers in all development and fund raising endeavors; and supervises the Development Associate.
CSS has a 67-year tradition of fun, friendship, and Jewish education in the Pacific Northwest. We value each child as an individual and strive to support their social, emotional, and spiritual growth. Our campers have the opportunity to be independent in a safe and nurturing environment. We encourage every camper to try something new, make new friends, make good choices, and grow as leaders and as individuals. CSS is a fully immersive, welcoming, and spiritual Jewish environment.
CSS is also the home of the Stampfer Retreat Center, which is the perfect setting for conferences, retreats, and special events from mid-August through mid-June annually. The Center provides a welcoming, safe, and fun camp environment, steeped in the values of integrity, respect, and equitable treatment. Our natural setting, open to all, is a unique and inspiring environment that promotes a sense of community and personal growth through art, culture, sports, and environmental education.
• Lead the organization in developing a culture of philanthropy;
• Create, implement, and track an annual development plan that includes a cultivation and stewardship framework and moves management process;
• Meet with prospective donors to foster positive relationships and deeper commitments to CSS;
• Coordinate the organization’s alumni engagement and retention efforts;
• Author a major gifts program that includes identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors;
• Identify and manage grant opportunities;
• Grow our Legacy Circle (planned giving program);
• Direct the annual fund program, including mailings; annual fundraising drives, and special events;
• Direct capital campaigns;
• Oversee prospect research;
• Work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and volunteers;
• Attend all organizational functions where donors are present;
• Staff all Board-level committees and task forces relevant to fund raising;
• Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems;
• Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff;
• Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities;
• Maintain gift recognition programs; and
• Perform other related duties as requested.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
• Must embrace Camp Solomon Schechter’s mission
• Bachelor Degree in a related field, required; Master’s Degree, preferred
• At least five (5) years of experience in the fundraising field, required
• Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
• Effective storytelling, conveying the importance of Jewish education, environmental education, and camping in general
• Self-motivated, focused, resilient, goal-oriented, and results-driven
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to flex style to accommodate a variety of constituents
• Demonstrates professional conduct at all times
• Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
• Ability to work in a team setting and willingness to work a flexible schedule with minimum supervision
• Computer proficiency including MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Fundraising Customer Relationship Management system (currently, DonorPerfect Online), website management, and social media
• Knowledge of Jewish culture and/or familiarity with the Pacific Northwest Jewish community, desired
• Participation in evening and weekend community events, as required
This position is full-time with benefits (vision, dental, health, sick and vacation) or may be filled on a contract basis. Salary is competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
Camp Solomon Schechter is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, age, religious belief, political ideology, national or ethnic origin, disability, actual or perceived medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.