- Posted: August 2021
- Salary Range: $45k-$47k DOE
- Start Date: ASAP
- Location: Chicago, IL
The University of Chicago Johanna and Herman H. Newberger Hillel Center provides the opportunity for participation in a diverse and pluralistic Jewish community through programming and opportunities to inspire students on the University of Chicago's campus to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life and learning. The University of Chicago Hillel Center is a campus hub for student leadership development and spiritual, educational, cultural, and social connectivity. Both inside the Hillel building and on the broader campus, Hillel is committed to ensuring a warm, welcoming and caring community for every student in their Jewish home away from home. The University of Chicago Hillel Center seeks a task-oriented and motivated Development & Operations Associate to play a key role in the day-to-day functions of fundraising, communications, and operations at Hillel. This position reports to and works closely alongside the Executive Director & Rabbi, anticipating and responding to a variety of needs and creatively implementing systems and strategies to maximize the full Hillel team’s efficiency and impact. The ideal candidate brings a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and/or operations, has an independent and enthusiastic work style, and is comfortable wearing multiple hats within a collaborative and energetic team. For more information, please visit: The University of Chicago Johanna and Herman H. Newberger Hillel Center.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-5 years of work experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Project management expertise with ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Proactive and self-driven work style
- High level of comfort with fundraising and operational functions and systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite and nonprofit CRMs (familiarity with Little Green Light a plus)
- Knowledge of Jewish community, culture, heritage, and traditions preferred
- Passion for Jewish life and commitment to the Jewish growth of college-aged students
- Ability to be adaptable and responsive in a fast-paced and fluid office
- Willingness to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including occasional nights, weekends, and holidays
- Support the Executive Director and Rabbi in all fundraising and operational functions within the organization
- Work closely with a small and close-knit group of colleagues to promote a seamless, supportive, and productive workflow
- Oversee logistics of all Hillel planned events, including Shabbat, holidays, and a few larger events; create and distribute logistical information to all parties
- Manage direct mail appeals and online solicitations; draft communications pieces for review by the Executive Director and Rabbi
- Work with the Executive Director and Rabbi to identify, research, and create strategies to cultivate and steward individual major donors Formulate and implement action plans for the Executive Director and Rabbi following donor-facing engagements
- Cultivate and research foundations and corporations for potential grants and sponsorship opportunities
- Maintain knowledge of and rapport with Hillelstakeholders, including students, major donors, and Advisory Board
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
UChicago Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.