Congregation Emanu El, a vibrant Reform synagogue in Houston, TX, located near Rice University and the Texas Medical Center, is seeking a Houston based full-time Controller. The Controller develops and oversees financial policies and procedures, monthly, quarterly, and year-end close, the annual budget and the audit. The Controller reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Treasurer and finance related committees. He/She is expected to maintain a high degree of professionalism, accuracy, confidentiality, and timeliness.
• In consultation with the Executive Director, department heads and the Finance committee, support our annual budgeting process and monthly financial tracking; produce a budget and financial results presentation materials for the Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and Annual Meeting.
• Monitor annual budget for all departments
• Prepare monthly and annual close of income statement and balance sheet, account reconciliations & G/L analysis
• Direct accounting department activities, such as accounts payable, billing, and payroll, including supervision of a staff of two
• Maintain endowment records and reporting, as well as schedules for Form 990
• Support, lead and fulfill ad-hoc projects, reporting and data requests
• Manage the annual audit, including preparation of schedules, compliance, and response to the management letter
• Track project, campaign, and event costs
• Maintain relationships with Banking and Audit professionals
• Analyze, apply, and improve policies, procedures, and controls
• Bachelor’s degree required; accounting or finance degree or other relevant education/credentials preferred.
• Five or more years of proven financial management experience, not-for-profit is preferred.
• Supervisory experience
• Knowledge of financial procedures and principles
• Grant reporting knowledge (preferred but not required)
• Experience with systems implementation
• Solid organizational skills including high attention to detail and ability to multi-task
• Strong communication skills
• Strong knowledge of MS Office, including the ability to manipulate large amounts of data and perform complex functions within Excel.
• Blackbaud (Financial Edge) software knowledge a plus
• Provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of medical or religious exemption