Position: Volunteer Services Manager Department: Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Summary: The Volunteer Services Manager is responsible for all aspects of the volunteer program consistent with Jewish HomeLife (JHL) policies and procedures. This position is responsible for the recruiting, selecting, orientation, training, supervising, and coordination of all volunteers and for administration of the volunteer program within JHL. This position is also responsible for identifying and assigning appropriate volunteers to patients and their families.
Strong customer service skills required. Demonstrates good interpersonal and communication skills including, knowledge of appropriate skills for communicating with individuals of all ages, especially the geriatric population. Experience with coordinating and developing training programs. A team player. Knowledge of hospice preferred.
1. Bachelor’s degree
2. Demonstrated experience in related field and in volunteer activity
3. Demonstrated skill in administrative functions including ability to develop policies and procedures
4. Demonstrated success in volunteer relationships
5. Administrative expertise, including: management software, word processing, analytics, spreadsheet applications and database management.
6. A personal commitment to and understanding of the Jewish community, Jewish values and broader civic and community issues a plus.
7. Prior experience working for Hospice and/or a Jewish organization a plus.
8. Must be able to work and/or participate in community wide events on nights and weekends.
9. Demonstrated skill with written and oral communications
10. Demonstrated ability to execute a supportive and sensitive approach to volunteer and family needs.
1. Oversee all aspects of Volunteer Program for all assigned business lines under the JHL umbrella.
2. Recruit, interview and select all volunteers.
3. Align JHL program needs with volunteer interest(s), areas of comfort and expertise.
4. Coordinate volunteer needs with the activities directors at each of the JHL locations.
5. Plan and supervise delivery of all volunteer services assuring a positive and engaging experience for both the volunteer and the residents alike.
6. Facilitate Volunteer Orientation Training for all volunteers.
7. Monitor and evaluate volunteers’ performance.
8. Assess and monitor a Record-Keeping System, which includes services delivered
and actual time involved.
9. Assure volunteers’ compliance with agency policies and procedures.
10. Create and manage Volunteer Recognition Events.
11. Establish a Monthly Volunteer Newsletter to highlight “Volunteer Needs”.
12. Develop strong relationships within the community and encourage volunteer opportunities.
13. Collaborate with other agencies providing programs and services, to offer mutual benefits on behalf of the residents.
14. Provide pictures and articles for all Jewish HomeLife publications.
15. Attend all mandated staff meetings for JHL and Hospice.
16. Maintain professional knowledge by attending Educational Workshops and Network Meetings.
17. Maintain current records and updated information and volunteer activity in Volgistics and hospice volunteer system.
18. Engage volunteers in virtual methods when in-person is not available
19. Work with JHL nurses to create and maintain comprehensive requirements for volunteers
20. Must be willing and able to meet with hospice patient families
21. Must be able to create and hold 2-3 in-service trainings annually.
22. Monitors documents and supervises all volunteer services
23. Maintains confidentiality with regard to patient, staff, and volunteer information in accordance with company policy.
24. Responsible for ensuring compliance with mandatory ruling that 5% of total hours of service is provided by volunteers as it relates to Hospice.
25. Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements: Ability to operate office equipment. Requires ability to handle stressful situations with calmness and courtesy at all times.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift up to 30 pounds; ability to sit for 80% of the day; ability to stand for long periods of time as needed (i.e. for events, etc.)
Mental Requirements: Ability to focus for extensive period of time on data, letter writing and other duties. Requires mental acuity and ability to interact with residents, volunteers and team members.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the staff member for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.