Teen JUST-US Boston seeks to foster strong commitment to social justice/tikkun olam (repairing the world) by engaging teens at a pivotal point in their lives. We welcome young people with a range of connections to the Jewish community (from highly active to limited/no activity) and provide them with a life-changing summer experience. Teens will have the opportunity be agents for change through a Jewish lens on social justice, connecting them to Judaism and Jewish peers.
15 rising high school juniors and seniors will participate in a six-week/five day per week summer program that is non-residential, providing an immersive social justice experience.
Interns will work three days per week with local organizations on pre-planned social justice project(s) and may also work with the organizations’ clients. In addition, the participants will join together twice weekly for leadership development and hands-on service projects. They will also participate in activities to build connection and welcome Shabbat together.
Teen JUST-US Boston will build the next generation of Jewish leaders committed social service/social justice.
Through this experience, teens will:
- Establish a long-term commitment to social justice/tikkun olam
- Explore and deepen Jewish Identity
- Develop leadership skills
- Foster independence and confidence
- Contribute to host agencies’ mission
In addition, we expect to retain host partner relationships that will enable us to offer this program year after year.
The Director will:
- Ensure the safety, engagement, and development of all participants
- Lead programming twice a week for six weeks focusing on social justice issues and leadership development
- Build a cohesive group while respecting and encouraging broad perspectives, empowering/ educating participants and helping them develop their voice
- Encourage teens to explore social service/social justice, Jewish values, Jewish identity, and issues of interest to teens
- Supervise weekly field trips to organizations where the group will participate in social service projects/programs
- Provide guidance and support to teens, as needed
Engage with Partner Sites
- Conduct site visits to our internship partners, meeting with internship supervisors/mentors and interns
- Provide guidance to internship site partners, as needed
- Ensure that mid-summer and final evaluations are completed; review evaluations with interns (and internship sites as needed)
- Facilitate cohort learning (social justice through a Jewish lens, youth leadership development) on Wednesdays and Fridays
- Coordinate guest speakers to the program
- Coordinate/co-lead Kabbalat shabbat Services
Provide Programmatic and Administrative Support
- Support and provide feedback to the Executive Director on the curriculum, internship sites, and intern experiences in their internships and with programming/experiences
- Knowledge of and experience with youth development; demonstrated ability to connect with teens and become a trusted mentor
- Experience leading Jewish teen programming/informal Jewish education
- Experience with social justice/social service programming
- Strong facilitation skills
- Experience facilitating over Zoom, including use of breakout rooms and other engaging strategies
- Team player; ability to work with young people, parents/caregivers, and community partners
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills
- BS/BA required; graduate work in Jewish education a plus
|Benefits||Full Time Summer Position (10 weeks, June – mid-August)|
|Ad Posted On||2020-12-24|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||861 times|
|Ad is posted for||30 days|
|Organization Name||Teen Just-Us Boston|
email resume and cover letter to [email protected][email protected]