Congregation Etz Chaim, a Reform Synagogue of 475 families in the western Chicago suburbs, has an exciting job opportunity for a person passionate about music. We are looking for a half-time Music Coordinator to infuse excitement into our religious services and other musical activities by creating a positive, engaging, and accessible musical program that’s varied in content and high in quality, and that harnesses congregational talent.
Our Music Coordinator will provide musical guidance for all services and synagogue functions in collaboration with our Rabbis, staff, and lay leadership. This person will also rehearse and conduct our adult choir for High Holiday Services, and prepare and lead music for approximately 28 Friday night Shabbat Services a year, which may include conducting our adult choir, leading other ensembles, providing accompaniment, and performing as a solo singer/instrumentalist.
Additional responsibilities will include:
* Engage and recruit our members – adults and children alike – to participate in music functions, drawing on the rich musical talent of our Congregation.
* Develop music ensembles and expand choir membership.
* Schedule, organize, and lead rehearsals for our adult choir and other ensembles; choose performance pieces and write arrangements or chord charts.
* Attend meetings with the Rabbis to plan for services.
* Collaborate with our other music leaders to ensure a unified music program.
* Recruit local professional singers and instrumentalists when necessary.
* Create an annual music budget and track expenses accordingly.
* Engage in professional development supported by the Congregation.
We are looking for a well-rounded musician – someone who “speaks the language of music” and who is broadly familiar with all aspects of music making. This would include skills such as conducting a choir and teaching vocal techniques, introducing new songs to lay people and leading them in song, playing one or more instruments, applying music theory, writing chord charts and arranging music for choirs and other ensembles, and sight-reading. Additionally, our candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills to lead singers and instrumentalists of varying skill levels with expertise, kindness, and patience, drawing out the best of each musician, and to collaborate with other music leaders as a team.
Some piano accompaniment skills and vocal skills are required, as is basic familiarity with Jewish services. Audio technology skills and knowledge of Hebrew are desirable, but can also be learned over time on the job.
We expect this position to average up to 20 hours a week, possibly more during the build-up to the High Holidays, and likely less throughout the rest of the year. Our desired start date is sometime in May of 2021. Starting salary will be between $24,000 and $31,000 depending on experience and qualifications. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
|Ad Posted On||2021-02-23|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||119 times|
|Ad is posted for||60 days|
|Categories||High Holiday, Music|
|Focus||Arts & Entertainment, Synagogue|
|Organization Name||Congregation Etz Chaim|
1710 S. Highland Avenue
Send resume and cover letter to:[email protected]