Position: Farm Educator Intern
Hours: May 11th – June 18th: Tuesdays 1:30pm – 4:30pm, June 18th - August 13th: Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00am – 12:00pm
Timeline: May – August
Reports to: Education Manager
About Coastal Roots Farm
Coastal Roots Farm (CRF) is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center. We cultivate healthy, connected communities by integrating sustainable agriculture, food justice, and ancient Jewish wisdom.
We share organic produce with those who need it most and connect people to compelling Jewish ideas and traditions through farming and food. We distribute food through our on-site pay-what-you-can Farm Stand, pop up mobile farm stands, and donations to hunger relief organizations. We offer hands-on education and experiences through School and Group Visits, Farm Camp Farm Tours, Volunteer Opportunities, Jewish Agricultural Festivals, and other community events, inviting our neighbors to connect to the land, Jewish tradition, and each other.
Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, CA on approximately 17 acres of land. Our Farm consists of vegetable production fields, education farm and gardens, a food forest, chickens, and compost operations. Coastal Roots Farm was incubated by the Leichtag Foundation in 2014 and received 501(c)(3) public charity status in 2015.
Coastal Roots Farm Internship Program
Coastal Roots Farm interns support the Farm’s mission through mutually beneficial volunteer work. Coastal Roots Farm's Internship Program works with diverse individuals to increase land-based knowledge, community connection, environmental stewardship, education for all ages, skills to promote food and social equity within the San Diego community, and more. Interns will work directly with Farm, Education, or Marketing departments (see available openings) and will receive mentoring and supervision from professional staff, technical training, and Jewish and environmental education as relevant.
Interns are eligible for a Coastal Roots Farm certificate upon completion of 36 hours of service. Interns may also complete credits through Coastal Roots Farm pending approval from associated schools and universities.
Internship opportunities are available three times per year for four months, including January - April, May - August, and September – December.
Farm Educator Intern Position Overview
The Farm Educator Interns will work closely with the Education Department to support in maintaining the Education Farm & Garden spaces and, when applicable, School and Group Visits, Farm Camps, community events, Farm Tours, and volunteer program data entry/record keeping. Throughout the internship, they will increase their knowledge about organically and locally grown produce, gain hands-on experience in farm-based outdoor education, and strengthen their local food system.
This summer, Farm Educator Interns will begin the program by learning basic skills in delivering educational programming and maintaining the Education Farm and Gardens on Tuesday afternoons (May – June). Interns will then apply the skills learned and sharpen their techniques throughout the remainder of the summer (June – August) at Farm Camp.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions may include:
• Support the Education Department to deliver Jewish and Farm educational programs and events for people of all ages.
• Support during Farm Camp as needed. Learn about and support various farm-related projects such as planting, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, insect scouting, fixing and maintaining irrigation, field preparation, trellising, etc.
• Support in leading Farm Tours for outside groups and the general public.
• Support volunteers on a weekly basis, along with entering data and record keeping
• Support staff during community programs and events
• Attend regular programs and education department meetings as appropriate
• Attend regular Farm team meetings as appropriate
Qualifications and Experiences
• Interest in organic, regenerative, and/or sustainable farming practices
• Interest in working with the public to deliver farm and/or Jewish educational programming
• Have the physical ability to bend, squat, kneel or stand for extended periods of time
• Customer and service-oriented
• Eager learner, flexible with assignments, and willing to jump into unfamiliar tasks
• Pursuing a certificate or degree in related field (i.e. education, child development, agriculture, outdoor education, environmental science, etc.)
• Passionate about Jewish community farming, food justice, and/or food systems development
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, and see projects through to completion
• Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skill
• Comfortable using a computer
• Familiarity with Jewish heritage, traditions, and practices is a plus
• Competency in Spanish is a plus
Typical Working Conditions
Farm Educator Interns will work mostly outdoors and occasionally in the office. There will be exposure to Southern California outside temperatures, chemicals used in the agricultural industry, and loud noises.
Essential Physical Tasks
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Continuous walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting and pushing/pulling up to 50 lbs., cutting, and carrying. Able to walk a minimum of .5 miles on uneven narrow trails with elevation gain.
Coastal Roots Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive workforce. We welcome and strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. All qualified candidates, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or genetic information will be considered for this position.
|Ad Posted On||2021-03-31|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||223 times|
|Ad is posted for||30 days|
|Organization Name||Coastal Roots Farm|
441 Saxony Rd
Please go to https://coastalrootsfarm.org/job-opportunities/ and click on “Job and Internship opportunities” to apply online. All applicants must submit: Cover letter Resume Job questionshttps://coastalrootsfarm.org/job-opportunities/