The JCP Early Childhood Center is a pluralistic Jewish learning community, dedicated to
supporting the development of identity and fostering a spirit of inclusion from the earliest years. We
believe in the inherent value of each individual. Every day our children learn to appreciate
similarities, to embrace differences, and to protect and advocate for others, both within and beyond
our walls. The Preschool Program typically serves children until they attend Kindergarten. Classes
meet three and five-days-a-week and increase in length as children progress through the program.
The school day is designed to include a balance of structured and unstructured activities, including
free play, circle time, snack, gross motor play and story time. Children enjoy daily music, art and
movement activities as well as opportunities to work in small groups as we encourage emerging
literacy and numeracy. For more information about JCP visit our website at www.jcpdowntown.org.
The JCP Early Childhood Center is hiring an assistant teacher for a 3-day a week 2s class.
The class meets from 9:00am-12:00pm and the teacher's hours are 8:00am-1:00pm.
The following job description briefly outlines some of the basic job responsibilities. This description
is not meant to be all inclusive. Additional responsibilities may be assigned from time to time by
the Director. All teachers are expected to be familiar with the JCP ECC Staff Manual as well as the
JCP Employee Handbook and to follow the procedures and expectations therein.
Assistant Teacher, Job Description (As of July 2021):
- To assist in developing long and short range goals and assist the team in planning weekly and
monthly activities for children in all curriculum areas.
- To observe and assist in evaluating the progress of each child and help develop strategies for
helping children build on their strengths, develop independence and enhance new areas of
- To use appropriate, positive discipline techniques for guidance and group management. To
implement and reinforce behavior management strategies consistent with our school philosophy
- To develop, over time, skills in working with individual children, small groups and whole groups.
- To assist with and contribute to written reports, in school documents, documentation, our
communication app, etc., when appropriate, as requested.
- To assist, as needed, in maintaining good professional and productive communication with
parents. To assist the team in developing a partnership with parents on behalf of the child.
- To begin to develop skills in written and phone communication with parents under the guidance of
the head and/or co-head teacher.
- To plan thoroughly with teaching team to address all areas of student development for
- To help create a harmonious atmosphere in the entire school and organization. To be flexible and
work cooperatively with all staff and to share materials and expertise.
- To meet with teaching team on a regular basis to discuss curriculum, individual children, group
dynamics and guidance techniques (at least once a week for an hour and daily beyond class time).
- To assist in being responsible for the classroom environment, preparation of materials, clean up,
organization of snack and mealtimes.
- To assist in ordering supplies in accordance with established procedures.
- To attend staff meetings and keep administration informed of pertinent issues regarding children,
parents and programs.
- To bring to the classroom particular interests and abilities which contribute to the ongoing
- To follow Department of Health and JCP guidelines with regard to the health and safety of all
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- An excellent understanding of developmentally appropriate early childhood curriculum and
- An understanding of the developmental issues that affect children and their families and an
appreciation for the diversity of families.
- Experience implementing positive discipline strategies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Mature and responsible attitude towards work.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
|Ad Posted On||2021-07-02|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||496 times|
|Ad is posted for||60 days|
|Focus||Education & Schools|
|Organization Name||Jewish Community Project Early Childhood Center|
146 Duane Street
New York, New York
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Rachel Mintz, Director, JCP Early Childhood Center at [email protected][email protected]