Positions at Temple Beth Zion-Beth Israel's (BZBI's) Neziner Hebrew School:
We are seeking candidates interested in working with children in our 1st - 7th grade Hebrew School program. We have a limited number of open positions in lower elementary, upper elementary, and 7th grade.
We plan to learn in-person during the 2021-2022 school year, and are excited to be back together after a year of learning virtually. Teachers are required to have their COVID vaccines in order to teach at BZBI, and health experts in our community are working with our Director of Youth and Family Education on an ongoing basis to maintain appropriate health and safety procedures in our Hebrew School.
About BZBI's Neziner Hebrew School:
BZBI's Neziner Hebrew School aims to facilitate dynamic learning and experiences that empower our students to live meaningful Jewish lives, engage as creators of their own Jewish community, and develop a life-long love of learning and the Jewish People. We value deep engagement with God, Israel, and Torah, and lift up the diverse beliefs and life experiences of our students and their families. We value the work of our teachers in creating classrooms characterized by interactive learning, discussion, collaboration, and creativity. We are inspired by Social and Emotion Learning and Student Centered Learning approaches to teaching and learning, and are excited to support teachers in implementing practices drawn from these approaches. Whether you are a veteran teacher who is already familiar with interactive teaching styles that center students' experiences in the classroom, or someone who is newer to teaching (or new to teaching using these approaches), we are committed to providing the support teachers need to succeed.
- 1st - 3rd grade classes meet on Mondays from 4:00 - 6:00 PM, and Saturdays from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- 4th - 7th grade classes meet on Wednesdays from 4:00 - 6:00 PM, and Saturdays from 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
- A 3rd/4th grade enrichment class meets on Wednesdays from 4:00 - 6:00 PM
- A 5th - 7th grade enrichment class meets on Mondays from 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Temple Beth Zion-Beth Israel (BZBI) is an open and egalitarian Conservative synagogue located in Center City in the heart of Philadelphia. We actively value the diversity of our community, and aspire to be a congregation where we are all uplifted spiritually, connected socially, engaged intellectually, and empowered. We are a home for people looking for connection to each other, to Jewish Community and tradition, and to Israel.
An Ideal Candidate:
- Is excited to work with, teach, and learn from students.
- Has formal or informal education experience and/or experience working with youth in other settings (i.e. camps, youth groups, after school programs, etc).
- Has strong Hebrew reading and writing skills. Fluency/spoken Hebrew is NOT a requirement, but is an advantage!
- Has a solid working familiarity with Jewish culture, community, holidays, history and Torah.
- Is passionate about creating classroom cultures with our students that value every individual and their contributions
Main Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Maintaining a safe classroom environment conducive to student learning and community building
- Using materials and guidance from the Director of Youth and Family Education, along with appropriate outside materials, to plan and teach weekly lesson plans that advance the school's curricular goals and values.
- Sending a brief weekly email to students' families
- Communicating respectfully with students, families, and colleagues
- Being a positive Jewish role model
We pay teachers a competitive salary, based on past experience, skills, and education.
Ready to Apply?
To apply, please email Rabbi Max Nissen, Director of Youth and Family Education, at [email protected] with a copy of your resume and a short message introducing yourself. Please include your name and the words "Hebrew School Teacher Application" in the subject line.
If your resume does not already include all relevant information (such as coursework or degrees in education, Jewish Education, Jewish Studies or Hebrew; or work experience in formal and informal Jewish settings such as other Hebrew Schools, camps, or youth groups), please consider updating your resume to include anything you may want us to know about your past experiences and qualifications.
To learn more about Temple BZBI: https://bzbi.org
To learn more about Neziner Hebrew School: https://bzbi.org/learn/youth-and-family-education/
|Ad Posted On||2021-07-06|
|Times this Ad has been viewed||394 times|
|Ad is posted for||90 days|
|Categories||Hebrew School/Sunday School|
|Focus||Education & Schools, Youth|
|Organization Name||Temple Beth Zion-Beth Israel|
300 South 18th Street
To apply, please email Rabbi Max Nissen, Director of Youth and Family Education, at [email protected] with a copy of your resume and a short message introducing yourself. Please include your name and the words "Hebrew School Teacher Application" in the subject line.[email protected]