Congregation Netivot Shalom, Berkeley, CA
Created April 16, 2021.
Congregation Netivot Shalom in Berkeley is currently searching for a director for our Preschool. We seek an educator whose leadership skills will guide our Jewish Preschool into its second decade. Our Preschool provides the young child with a learning environment rich in Jewish content. We emphasize an interactive learning process, where children learn in a play-based setting. We embrace an emergent curriculum which focuses on learning through active exploration. We foster an environment where children can pretend, practice and explore to foster inquiry and discover the world around them. Our curriculum is relevant, emergent and intertwined with Jewish life and practice.
Our talented educators facilitate learning by observing, documenting and further extending the learning process. We believe that each child is a unique person who possesses an individual pattern of timing for their own growth and development. We accept and respect each child's differing levels of ability, development, and learning style, and we design our curriculum to reflect these differing abilities
This is a full time, exempt position.
Essential Job Duties / Responsibilities:
Work with Families
• Maintain positive, trusting relationships with parents, children, and staff in accordance with the Jewish values of the Preschool program and the synagogue
• Establish positive communication between home and school
• Engage families in the life of the school
Leadership and Administration
• Lead the vision and mission of the preschool
• Keep abreast of current research in the field of Jewish and early childhood education, (including attending conferences, workshops, etc.
• Ability to create and maintain budget
• Direct all aspects of the preschool program including:
- staff supervision
- administration of program
- ensure school complies with state and local licensing requirements
• Maintain clear communication
• Strong time management/ organizational skills
• Proficiency in the use of technology, (word, excel, Zoom etc)
Education and Experience
• Master’s Degree preferred; B.A. degree
• 12 semester units Early Childhood Education (child development; child, family and community; preschool curriculum) plus 3-6 units in Preschool Administration
• 4 + years of preschool teaching experience
• Familiarity with most current ECE practice
$65,000 to $72,000 salary range, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The benefits package includes health insurance and paid holidays—Jewish and secular, sick, and vacation leave.
Open until filled. Please apply by 5 p.m. May 10, 2021 to be considered in the initial screening.
Email resume and cover letter to Ken Schnur (ken [@] netivotshalom.org). Please include “CNS Preschool Director – (Your name)” in subject line. We are not accepting phone calls.
Anticipated Start Date
June 15, 2021
Netivot Shalom began in 1989 and grew out of our founding members’ collective commitment to create an egalitarian spiritual home for Conservative/Masorti Jews. Netivot Shalom is based in Berkeley, California, and is allied with the world of Jewish community. This participatory egalitarian community is defined by the values of connectedness; learning; justice; and Jewish ritual. Netivot Shalom welcomes members who are Jewish and not, Jews-by-choice, interfaith families, multiracial, multicultural, married, single, families and individuals, LGBTQI, straight, old, and young. We explicitly recognize and cherish each other as teachers and students. For more information, please visit our website www.netivotshalom.org
Congregation Netivot Shalom is an Equal Opportunity Employer