The Community Synagogue in Port Washington, NY is seeking an experienced, nurturing and creative full time Director of the Early Childhood Center (ECC) to provide leadership and vision for this very successful foundation of early education of the synagogue. Our congregation is thriving and growing and currently consists of almost 750 families.
The Director will oversee a Reform Jewish pre-school program serving 200+ children from birth through five years offering a robust variety of programs and classes. The ECC is housed in our new Learning Center with state-of-the-art indoor and outdoor facilities. The successful candidate will bring great energy and creativity to the position and work with children and over 130 ECC families to improve, enhance and grow the success of this 30+ year old program. The Director will uphold the key values and mission of the synagogue and Early Childhood Center (see below).
The Director of the Early Education Center is responsible for day-to-day administration and oversight of every aspect of the various programs as it relates to our children, staff, parents and synagogue. The Director also defines the relevant early educational goals and develops the appropriate curriculum and creates the positive social and academic environment that is current in general education trends and more specifically in Early Jewish Education.
The Director will collaborate and coordinate with the Director of Congregational Education and liaise to the lay leadership through the VP of Education. The Director will work hand in hand with the synagogue clergy and senior staff as well as work closely with the ECC Parent Committee.
The direct reports of the ECC Director include:
• Assistant Director
• Teaching Staff of 35
• Education Office Manager
• Additional Support Staff
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Develop, implement and monitor the curriculum for the Early Childhood Center; blend age-appropriate curriculum with Jewish educational values and customs.
• Oversee and manage a variety of year round programs with a combined enrollment of over 200 children including :
o Early Childhood Programs
o Summer Program
o Early Drop Off
o After-School Enrichment
• Continue to grow and support the preschool’s mission and vision including:
o The inherent dignity and equality of every human being (that each person is made b’tzelem Elohim, (“in the image of God”)
o A love of Torah and Jewish tradition (customs, Shabbat and holidays, food, and culture)
o Our connection to the People of Israel, as well as to the Land of Israel
o The individual’s responsibility to help build a kehillah k’doshah (“sacred community”)
o Our obligation to help others to build a better world (tikkun olam).
• Create and actively promote a welcoming environment where every child and parent is treated with dignity and respect.
• Hire, train, manage and mentor staff to ensure the overall success of the preschool and maintain supervision and instructional guidance (both Judaic and secular) through regular staff meetings, classroom observations and professional development.
• Provide support and guidance to the staff and parents to meet each child's individual learning needs.
• Work with support staff to ensure consistent compliance to Department of Health Guidelines and NYS Office of Children and Family Service licensing regulations, including staff qualifications, teacher/child ratios and health and safety requirements. Represent The Community Synagogue with required licensing agencies as necessary (OCFS, Health and Immunizations, etc.).
• Establish meaningful relationships with parents and maintain effective communication, both oral and written.
• Develop, manage and implement budgets for all program areas and establish program fees.
• Represent The Community Synagogue and the Early Childhood Center at synagogue events and in our community.
• Attend weekly senior staff meetings, monthly board meetings, and committee meetings as needed to facilitate programming plans and needs.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
• Minimum five years teaching and/or supervisory experience in a similar position. Current Assistant Directors and/or Head Teachers are encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge of and ability to implement New York standards for licensed child care center.
• Proven ability to lead professional development efforts and support educators within a teaching and learning environment.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with an ability to interact effectively with congregants, clergy, staff, and lay leadership.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and competency in general computer skills. Knowledge of synagogue database program Shulcloud a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive compensation package which includes vacation, generous medical insurance contribution and continuing professional development. You and your family become part of our caring community as a member of our senior staff.