Since our founding in 1825, B’nai Jeshurun (BJ) has been at the forefront of the American Jewish experience. As we approach our third century, our vision is focused on the spiritual work of transformation and on the creation of a Jewish spiritual path that is authentic and profound, and helps every member seek and live their purpose to the fullest.
Our spiritual leaders and our nearly 1,800 member families share a vision of a diverse, dynamic, and welcoming community that offers many paths to Jewish religious life, while supporting one another in their spiritual quests. We are committed to honoring tradition while re-imagining and innovating our practices and programs to create vibrant contemporary and relevant Jewish life for all who are seeking it.
Our community is led by Rabbi Rolando Matalon, together with a senior leadership team that comprises Rabbi Felicia Sol, who oversees all programs, and Executive Director/COO Colin Weil, who oversees advancement, communications, finance and administration, and operations. BJ has a staff of approximately 40 full-time and 10 part-time employees.
BJ launched an all-new visual identity and website in early 2020. As the COVID-19 pandemic has unfolded, BJ pivoted to become a fully virtual institution, successfully serving our more than 3,000 members remotely, and building a new circle of thousands of supporters who regularly tune in to our prayer, programming, and community. In order to build upon this momentum and to amplify BJ’s expanding strategic vision beyond our local membership, we recognize the importance of strengthening BJ’s communications and raising our voice dynamically across all touchpoints: in-person and online; locally, nationally, and internationally.
The Digital Communications Coordinator will report to the Marketing and Communications Manager (MCM) and serve on the communications team, which provides communications support to all of BJ, including e-comms, web, and social media.
• Coordinate development and production of digital content (website, e-communications, social media) with input from manager and colleagues.
• Communicate and collaborate with internal staff to create and edit content promoting BJ events and programs.
• Work with BJ’s programming teams to identify, develop, and curate BJ stories as well as gather, catalogue and strategically utilize compelling media including photos and videos.
• Work with communications-related vendors, including external digital and design resources, such as IT providers, printers, mailing house, publications, and others as directed by MCM.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
• BA degree is required, plus 1-2 years of communications experience preferred.
• Experience with a membership-based organization a plus.
• Strong writing and editing skills.
• Advanced computer proficiency required, including. Familiarity with Wordpress, Mailchimp, G Suite, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, and Salesforce preferred.
• Experience using social media platforms and hubs (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Hootsuite, etc) to promote organizational goals and messages.
• Highly organized with superb attention to detail. Experience with online task management systems a plus.
• Ability to prioritize according to supervisor’s expectations.
• Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills.
• Creative, resourceful self-starter with an ability to work independently.
• Ability to anticipate needs and solve problems proactively.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, remaining flexible, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
• Knowledge of and experience communicating on the subjects related to Jewish faith and culture a plus.
COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS INCLUDING:
• Medical, dental and vision insurance;
• Short-term and long-term disability;
• 403(b) retirement plan.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
B’nai Jeshurun (BJ), in recognition of our values, commitment to social justice, and responsibility to our spiritual leaders and staff, congregants, and the communities within which we live and work, is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQIA+ applicants.