Do you dream of a job where you get to design and create new strategies, while making a meaningful impact in the world? Become an Innovation Specialist as part of the Springboard Fellowship, at Hillel Waterloo or Hillel Laurier! The Springboard Fellowship is a paid, two-year fellowship that brings recent college grads with raw talent, passion, and skills to college campuses across North America to reimagine and redesign Jewish student life.
Trained in the renowned Design Thinking methodology, you will be charged with sparking ideas for transforming areas of Jewish student life into ones that are better suited for today’s students. At the same time, you will help to infuse creative innovation into all aspects of Hillel’s work.
To be successful in this position you must be team-oriented, entrepreneurial, and motivated by results. We’re looking for people who embrace challenges, take risks, fail, and learn from the past, while maintaining their passion and sense of humour.
This position reports to the Director of Hillel Waterloo and Laurier.
Who You Are
- You’re always reimagining the ordinary and thinking about ways to repurpose or make things better.
- You think big and creatively -- to you, everything is a possibility and nothing is too big to tackle.
- You’re a relationship builder and can’t get off an airplane without meeting someone new and learning a lot about their interests and passions.
- You are comfortable with pivoting and being able to look at something, realize that the direction you were going was completely wrong, and adapt your plan.
- You’re a risk taker who thrives on solving problems with an entrepreneurial spirit and not being afraid of trying something new.
- You are a recent university graduate with professional, extracurricular or volunteer experience, or an educational focus in innovation, entrepreneurship, design thinking or a related field.
- You’re passionate and excited about Jewish life & university students, and understand why some students might not want to get involved with Jewish life.
- You thrive on learning and know you must first seek to understand something deeply before you can effect successful change.
What You’ll Get Out of It
- High-level professional development to help develop core skills and gain expertise from innovators and design thinking experts.
- Intensive Jewish summer and year-long learning experiences that will provide you with the knowledge, passion, and critical tool kit to fuel your work building our Jewish communities.
- Mentoring and career coaching to help you during and after your Fellowship.
- A network of terrific colleagues from across the Hillel movement.
- Travel opportunities, both domestically and internationally, multiple times per year (if permitted following COVID-19 safety guidelines).
- A comprehensive benefits package , including health insurance, Life, and Long Term Disability insurances, and generous vacation/sick time.
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $35,000-40,000 commensurate with experience.
What You’ll Receive
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, and generous vacation/sick time, as well as mental health days and cell phone.
- Amazing colleagues
- A fun and fast-paced work environment
- Access to professional development opportunities
- The opportunity to have a significant impact on Jewish students on campuses across Ontario
This position has a start date of July 2, 2021.
About Waterloo and Laurier
Wilfrid Laurier University is a dynamic campus that has become a destination for Jewish students across Ontario and beyond. Established in 1911, Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading Canadian university known for academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. With nearly 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students, Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research and scholarship combined with a strong student focus, high levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community.
The University of Waterloo is a premier Canadian research university serving over 35,000 students in six faculties, ten faculty-based schools, and four affiliated university colleges. The University of Waterloo is most famous for its co-op programs, which allow the students to integrate their education with applicable work experiences. This co-op culture means that Waterloo operates as a three-semester campus serving students year-round.
Hillel Waterloo and Laurier provides Jewish students in Waterloo the opportunity to learn, explore, and celebrate Jewish life, culture, and heritage. We offer programs created by students for students to engage them in the most meaningful experiences. We aim to empower our students to create Jewish life on campus that is meaningful and relatable to them. Connect with our diverse community through our regular coffee schmoozes & bagel brunches held on campus. Whether your interests lie in Jewish Life and Education, Tzedek and Social Action, Arts and Culture, Athletics, Israel, Leadership Development or anything in between, opportunities for involvement exist through Hillel Waterloo.
About Jewish Life in Waterloo
The region of Kitchener - Waterloo is host to a growing Jewish community including students, young professionals, and families. Served by three local synagogues, one Reform, one Modern Orthodox, and one Chabad as well as two sources of kosher food products. Waterloo provides a big city feel without the big city traffic, with a robust city centre full of great restaurants and plenty of engaging activities.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that fosters an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and trains them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel Ontario is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.