CANTORIAL POSITION: Temple Ahavat Shalom
Temple Ahavat Shalom is a Reform congregation of approximately 250 families. We are a joyful community where we discover personal meaning through diverse opportunities to: Enrich and sanctify our relationships (Kehilah Kedoshah), Explore our connections with the Divine (Brit), Celebrate Jewish Life and Torah (Talmud and Torah), Be a force for healing and justice in our world (Tikkun Olam).
We are currently seeking a Cantor, Cantorial Soloist or Songleader to be our Synagogue’s musical leader and an integral part of our community. This is a part-time (20 hours) position that includes the following duties.
Ongoing Cantorial Duties:
• 50 Friday night services per year, including accompaniment on guitar or another instrument.
• Monthly preschool/K-2 student service.
• 15 Saturday morning B’nai Mitzvah services during the year.
• 2-3 special services per year.
• Instruct 2 adult classes per year on Jewish music topics,
• 1-2 services on the beach per summer.
• 2-3 Shiva services per year.
High Holy Days Duties:
• Selichot service.
• Tashlich service at the beach.
• Rosh Hashanah evening and morning services.
• Yom Kippur evening (Kol Nidre), morning, Yizkor, Neilah and Concluding services.
• Schedule and coordinate choir rehearsals with choir director and choir; attend all rehearsals.
• Meet and rehearse with musical accompanist.
• As necessary, in conjunction with the Rabbi and Ritual Committee, hire outside professional singers for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services.
B’nai Mitzvah Tutor:
• Meet with each student for 20 half-hour sessions, 1 one-hour sessions, beginning six months before their ceremony to work on prayer reinforcement, Torah and Haftarah readings.
• Conduct 1 one-hour rehearsal with the family one week prior to the ceremony.
• Serve as gabbai during their Torah and Haftarah readings during the ceremony.
Religious School Song Leader:
• Lead religious school students and teachers in singing and Tefillah each Sunday during the school year (September – May).
• Help religious school classes lead a Friday night Shabbat.