Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Hillel at Stanford as our new Development Associate. You’ll power Hillel by using your digital skills to grow and maintain our donor database while using data to prospect and validate new donors; and your social and organizational skills to help us create compelling events for current and prospective donors in the Stanford area and across the country. The Development Associate reports to our Executive Director, and works closely with our Marketing & Digital Development Manager, Operations Director, and the rest of the staff team. Excellent interpersonal skills, comfort with CRM database management (preferably Little Green Light), all Microsoft platforms including Word and mail merging, Excel and Outlook, and the ability to pay close attention to detail while multi-tasking concurrent projects are critical to success in this role. Some travel may be required. This is a full-time position based in Stanford, CA, with the expectation that staff will continue working remotely until at least May 2021.
Located in the heart of the Stanford campus, Hillel at Stanford is the foundation for Jewish life at Stanford University, one of the most vibrant Jewish campus communities in North America. Its mission is to inspire every Jewish student to make a meaningful and enduring commitment to Jewish life. Hillel at Stanford offers a wide array of opportunities for Stanford students of all backgrounds and interests to connect with Jewish life and their own Jewish story and journey, ranging from social events to social justice initiatives, culture to religious services, immersion experiences, and so much more.
What You’ll Do
Event Planning: Lead project management for 4-10 donor events per year
- Work with the Executive Director and lay leaders to create a calendar of donor engagement events in the Palo Alto, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York areas. Future expansion is possible, but we’ll focus on these cities first.
- Handle the logistical arrangements for these events, often in consultation with a host or host committee, including creating invitations, engaging speakers, sourcing food, and crafting post-event thank-yous
- Work with Executive Director to prioritize follow-up with individuals for solicitation following these events
Database Management: Lead data entry to ensure data integrity
- Responsible for accurate data entry of constituent contact information, communication preferences, relationship connections, etc. in all relevant systems, including email marketing database, Constant Contact.
- Update all returned mail and change of address information in database
- Prepare and export mailing lists for appeals
- Assist all departments in building searches and identifying parameters to export reports as needed for all departments
- Run monthly diagnostics on database for duplicates and other maintenance
- Manage data entry work study students and interns
- Lead database management and data entry trainings for staff and work study students and interns
- Identify and utilize external platforms to secure updated constituent information
Gift Processing: Lead gift entry and acknowledgement processes
- Responsible for accurate gift entry including general donations, restricted donations, and pledges in partnership with out outside bookkeepers, JITASA
- Prepare solicitation letters for signatures and mail
- Prepare and update donor lists in all appropriate places on a regular basis, including database, annual report, newsletters, website, etc.
- Coordinate bi-monthly pledge reminder mailings
- Run weekly/monthly campaign status reports in database for reconciling purposes with the Director of Operations
General Support and Other:
- Coordinate Development Committee meeting preparations and record meeting minutes
- Support Executive Director with development related scheduling and project management
- Create and source high-quality, low-cost donor appreciation gifts
What You've Accomplished
- 1-3 years nonprofit fundraising/management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven success in:
* Management of donor or customer relationship databases
* Donor prospecting and validating
* Event planning and execution
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit - things may not go according to plan, but you’ll take risks and learn from wins as well as losses
- A passion for college students, Jewish campus life, or the parent experience of sending your child to college.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively, successfully managing multiple priorities
- Understanding of current trends, ability to recommend and implement plans to increase donors, contributions, and identify new opportunities
- Superior oral and written communication skills
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace (salary range $55-65,000, depending on experience)
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, and generous vacation/sick time
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities as part of a high-energy, dynamic team
- Regional and national travel (approx. 10%)
- On-campus parking
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Stanford is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.