Reporting to the Director of Diversity, Student Equity & Interfaith Programs, and under the overall strategic direction of the Assistant Vice President (AVP) for Equity & Community Inclusion, the Jewish Student Life & Interfaith Programs Coordinator provides coordination and oversight for culturally responsive programs and services which promote educational access and success of students at SF State, in particular, students who identify as Jewish and those interested in Jewish culture and faith. The incumbent plans, develops, implements, and assesses various programs and events that provide unique opportunities for dialogue and engagement in order to build interfaith/intergroup relations on campus and create ties between and among Jewish students and the rest of the campus community. In coordination with campus partners, the incumbent provides academic and personal guidance to students, builds a network of appropriate, relevant resources for student academic success, develops and coordinates student programs, and seeks to positively-impact the overall campus climate for Jewish students on campus.
Specifically, the Jewish Student Life & Interfaith Programs Coordinator provides activities and events in a targeted manner, which constitute high-quality, high-impact student experiences, with the goal of advancing educational equity and inclusion for Jewish students, while recognizing the diverse realities and complexities that comprise the Jewish identity in the Bay Area, in the US and in the global context – inclusive of culture, religion, politics, and nationality. The incumbent also serves as a first-responder to assist and support students who report experiencing anti-Semitism, as well as make appropriate referrals to relevant resources on campus, serve as an advisory in navigating campus processes/procedures, and recommend actions for institutional/systemic change as warranted, based on patterns in student reporting.
The incumbent will also develop, implement, and evaluate best practices and programming for serving and supporting SF State students through a lens of inclusive interfaith, intercultural student services and student development theory and practice. These efforts will be achieved through careful coordination and strategic partnerships with the broader Student Affairs & Enrollment Management cabinet area, the Interfaith Programs unit, relevant community-based organizations, and various spiritual/religious student organizations.
Finally, the incumbent will also serve as an advisor for students who file complaints of discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation under CSU Executive Order 1097; and in this role, they will work closely with colleagues in Equity Programs & Compliance to ensure that they are familiar with all applicable policies and procedures.
40% Program Development
• In collaboration with the team of the Interfaith Programs unit will plan, develop and implement interfaith programs, activities, and services to engage and enhance the spiritual life of students, staff, faculty on campus;
• Improve outcomes related to the Jewish student success, belonging and mattering from orientation to graduation;
• Develop partnerships with local and regional interfaith leaders and organizations within various religious/faith/spiritual life communities to positively impact Jewish student life on campus;
• Collaborate on projects from development through implementation and assessment including data collection, evaluation and reporting on programs and initiatives;
• Coordinate interfaith dialogue, service, and learning opportunities;
• Implement measures to track student well-being and academic progress for the purpose of evaluating the success of program interventions;
• Monitor, verify, and oversee budget for programs and services;
• Prepare and submit budget recommendations for program development;
• Participate in the evaluation of institutional practices and programs as they affect students and overall campus climate; and
• Plan and conduct relevant research in areas related to student success, student attrition, campus climate, and innovative programming.
30% Coordinate Student Support & Community Advocacy
• Assist the Director of Office of Diversity, Student Equity, and Interfaith Programs, Division of Equity and Community Inclusion, SAEM, student organizations, and the greater campus community to meet the needs of students with a specific focus on Jewish students and their intersecting identities;
• Provide students with guidance, advising, and referrals for targeted support services for their continued success and graduation;
• Consult, on behalf of students, with faculty and staff as appropriate;
• Collaborate with campus partners including the Colleges, Academic Departments, faculty, student service units and student organizations on retention/student success initiatives;
• Develop and maintain a strong communication network with students and community based organizations;
• Collaborate with local and regional interfaith organizations and spiritual leaders to support student success;
• Collaborate with campus partners to address wellness and basic needs
• Collaborate with campus partners to enhance campus climate for Jewish students;
• Ensure networked communication with Office of Diversity, Student Equity, and Interfaith Programs, AA&PI Services, Black Unity Center, and other Center/Services within the Division of Equity & Community Inclusion;
• Partner with religious communities to align partnerships with the University mission of inclusion and diversity by affirming openness and acceptance of all; and
• Provide support and referrals to students, faculty, and staff, as needed.
15% Training & Education
• Coordinate and facilitate conflict mediation, trainings, and facilitation of difficult dialogues about identity, faith, spirituality, and intersectionality and identity development;
• Oversee, train, and develop professional skills of student staff regarding best practices for office and program coordination;
• Develop and facilitate workshops and outreach programs for current and prospective students, faculty and staff; and
• Arrange and/or facilitate personal development workshops on career planning, academic advising, personal growth, time management, study skills, writing, internships, etc. in collaboration with campus partners.
10% Office Coordination
• Demonstrate safe work practices for oneself, others and the office environment;
• Manage the administrative functions of the office and supervise student staff;
• Provide oversight of the budget to monitor expenditures for programs and operations;
• Work with the Director of Diversity, Student Equity, and Interfaith Programs and the unit’s Administrative Analyst to monitor and manage budget for the administrative and programmatic functions of the office;
• Develop and lead assessment efforts of strategic and intervention strategies that support GI 2025 Initiative and the SAEM Strategic Plan;
• Develop and implement communication strategies and systems to ensure visibility of Interfaith Programs unit;
• Develop and maintain resource website/guide for prospective and current students;
• Design, develop and produce promotional materials for Interfaith Programs Unit; and
• Contribute to creating welcoming, inclusive and collaborative relationships within the Division of Equity and Community, Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and the SFSU community.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
• Master’s Degree in Higher Education/Student Affairs, Religion, Theology, Ministry, Counseling, Education, Ethnic Studies, Sociology, and/or related field;
• Comprehensive, current knowledge of legislation, resources and educational policies, procedures and practices regarding student success, including enrollment processes and financial options;
• Experience working directly with students of diverse faiths/spiritual life in the areas of advising, program development, coordination and student support related services;
• Knowledge of current and historical statewide, national, and global interfaith and spiritual life initiatives;
• Strong leadership and supervisory experience;
• Excellent communication skills: written, oral, and public speaking;
• Proven ability to collaborate and work effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, spiritual, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
• Proven ability to foster intragroup community amongst people of diverse backgrounds;
• Experience in facilitating interfaith programming working with college students; commitment to religious pluralism and inclusion of/engagement with myriad faith identities and expressions
• Demonstrated commitment to student development, excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, budgetary literacy,
• Skills related to working independently and as a member of a team, cultivating an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment;
• Experience coordinating events such as conferences, workshops and trainings;
• Familiarity with California State University (CSU) policies and procedures;
• Experience with high impact practices that facilitate access, success, and equity for diverse student population
Core Competencies – embody the following competencies:
• Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
• Effective communication skills across a variety of venues.
• Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
• Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence.
• Diversity and inclusion.