Congregation Har Shalom, a Conservative synagogue in Potomac, MD is looking for an energetic and passionate educator to join our team.
The Director of Teen Education will drive all formal and informal learning programming for all B’nai Mitzvah families and youth in grades 8-11, including Religious School graduates and day school students within our community. In collaboration with the clergy and staff, the Director will develop and lead workshops with B’nai Mitzvah families and students, middle/high school and Confirmation classes, as well as Shabbat morning programs. We are looking for a partner to inspire young adults to think critically about the relevance of Jewish text and values in our world today, preparing them to be leaders in the community.
Candidates ideally have prior professional experience as an administrator and educator working with grades 8-12 in the Jewish community, as well as familiarity and knowledge of synagogue life and Jewish practices. To work with teens, including those with different learning styles, please demonstrate prior experience in developing and sustaining formal and informal teen education programs. A bachelor’s degree in education with a focus Jewish Studies, Jewish Education or Jewish Communal Studies is preferred. We are looking for someone who is flexible, collaborative and creative – we are a team!
Primary responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Har Shalom Upper School (Grades 8-9) and Confirmation (Grades 10-11)
• Develop curriculum and teach Upper School weekly classes for e 8th and 9th Grade on Tuesday nights.
• Manage logistics for Upper School, and work with support staff to finalize weekly dinners and other necessary supplies.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships to our teens and their families through regular contact and informal events
• Assist Rabbi with development and execution of the Confirmation program, including biweekly classes and dinners.
• Work with our Clergy to involve them in classes and other teen learning and engagement opportunities.
• Contribute to the strong presence of Congregation Har Shalom by developing content to promote and amplify dynamic teen education programs.
B’nai Mitzvah Family Engagement
• Collaborate with the clergy to plan and lead workshops and events for B’nai Mitzvah families to foster kehilla. Provide supplemental support and content to clergy who lead B’nai Mitzvah tutoring and preparation.
Shabbat and Holidays
• Develop and lead twice-monthly programs for teens during Shabbat morning services.
• Collaborate with clergy and education staff to plan services and other youth activities around High Holidays and other community celebrations.
This position reports to the Synagogue Administrator, working on daily basis with Clergy, the Religious School Director, and all Har Shalom staff.
Salary is $50-60,000 based on candidate’s education and experience. This is a full time position for 40 hours a week plus benefits, our work week will include evenings, Shabbat mornings and weekends as needed.